Well it ain’t Boone’s Farm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loadclear

Junior
Reaction score
I’d intended to rack my Island Mist Strawberry Watermelon from secondary to clearing today (3 weeks from pitching)… and, well, it was crystal clear so heck, I bottled it. It is much crisper than I expected, and while far from dry, it wasn’t overwhelmingly sweet. I definitely did some things with it I regret- in addition to the 4lbs of sugar, I added 1 Gallon of red Welch’s Concorde. The SG was 1.090. Regardless of that screw up, it isn’t half bad;)

question: I wasn’t set up with all my tubing to bottlewith the spring tip filler, so I just angle-filled from the spigot at the bottom of a bottling bucket… this obviously introduced some Oxygen. I assume it’s no big deal for a Mist, but is that a faux pax for all bottling? It worked pretty easily.

I’d intended to rack my Island Mist Strawberry Watermelon from secondary to clearing today (3 weeks from pitching)… and, well, it was crystal clear so heck, I bottled it. It is much crisper than I expected, and while far from dry, it wasn’t overwhelmingly sweet. I definitely did some things with it I regret- in addition to the 4lbs of sugar, I added 1 Gallon of red Welch’s Concorde. The SG was 1.090. Regardless of that screw up, it isn’t half bad;)

question: I wasn’t set up with all my tubing to bottlewith the spring tip filler, so I just angle-filled from the spigot at the bottom of a bottling bucket… this obviously introduced some Oxygen. I assume it’s no big deal for a Mist, but is that a faux pax for all bottling? It worked pretty easily.
I make a lot of Island Mist Kits, I always add a bag of sugar and usually some sort of juice concentrate to add body to the wine, your fine, give it a month to mellow out some and the flavors to come thru and you’ll be surprised how good they are.

Latest posts

Back