Welch's White Grape

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pditt13

Reaction score
I wanted to have a little fun and decided to make some wine with Welsh's white grape juice. After I fermented to .996, racked, cleared, and racked again I added 1 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate. That is what the instructions recommended for 3 gallons. After the sorbate i waited 24 hours and back-sweetened with Welsh's white grape juice. I put a solid bung in it and it keeps popping out. I dried the mouth of the carboy and the airlock, and it fits really tight, but after about a day and a half it pops out. Did I not use enough sorbate and it is starting to ferment again? I do not see any activity at all. Appreciate any tips since this is my first white that i have back-sweetened. I prefer dry.

Thank,
Patti

Hard to tell for sure.

First, sorbate and k-meta are usually added together. They work as a team to stop fermentation.

Second, an airlock would be preferable to a solid bung. The wine expands and contracts with temperature and in addition to it's primary use, the airlock also acts as a buffer. Worst case, under the right circumstances a solid bung could be sucked in and become very difficult to remove.

Also, you don't mention the age of the wine. A young wine may be more prone to refermentation compared to one that has aged for 9-12 months.

I forgot to mention that I did add kmeta at the same time. The wine was 1.01 after sweetening. I have not checked it since i sweetened last weekend. I will do that tonight. I guess that will tell me if there is any fermentation going on.

I started the wine beginning of November. Thanks for the replies!

If you didn't degas, it's likely the wine is degassing. If the SG is still 1.010, that's true.

When writing SG, we commonly use 3 digits to the right of the decimal, as it helps ensure clarity and avoids mistakes. We've had situations where someone wrote 1.08 when they meant 1.008.

Wow, your wine is young!
Multiple books refer to your wine as an "instant" wine or "cheater" wine because it's ready so soon. Even those sources suggest aging 4-6 weeks after fermentation stops before bottling. Maybe it is simply de-gassing.

It's not on my list but I'm curious - how does it taste? Would you make it again?

Wow, your wine is young!
Multiple books refer to your wine as an "instant" wine or "cheater" wine because it's ready so soon. Even those sources suggest aging 4-6 weeks after fermentation stops before bottling. Maybe it is simply de-gassing.

It's not on my list but I'm curious - how does it taste? Would you make it again?
Mine is in the toilet. I didn't drink it first, if that gives you any indications. 😄

What a waste - buy a still and recover the alcohol. You can drink it, clean stuff with it, use it in your airlock, etc.
It was 2 litres. After getting on here and learning a thing or two about youtube video wine and tasting it in secondary, I lost all interest. I left it in a gallon jug for long enough to know headspace had killed it. I had better uses for the jug and filled it with a promising recipe.

It was a learning lesson on multiple levels. Plus, I keep my sanitizer and PBW in the empty juice jugs, so it wasn't a complete loss. :rolleyes:

Your advice is sound. Got one, but for 2 litres, I let it go.

Not trying to dissuade anyone, either. Make it, have fun, and enjoy it. It just wasn't my thing.

Wow, your wine is young!

we tasted the extra i had from after adding juice and i did like it
I forgot to mention that I did add kmeta at the same time. The wine was 1.01 after sweetening. I have not checked it since i sweetened last weekend. I will do that tonight. I guess that will tell me if there is any fermentation going on.

I started the wine beginning of November. Thanks for the replies!
correction on the timeframe. I didn't have my notes in front of me when i responded but i started the welshs 8/6/22. i was WAY off, it was my shiraz that i started in November. Anyway I checked last night and my SG is still 1.010

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I am going to put the airlock back in for awhile to make sure I am good. It was just one of those quick fun makes. I prefer dry reds but some friends like sweeter whites, so i was trying this one for them.

correction on the timeframe. I didn't have my notes in front of me when i responded but i started the welshs 8/6/22. i was WAY off, it was my shiraz that i started in November. Anyway I checked last night and my SG is still 1.010
I re-read your posts, and it appears you did everything I'd expect. In addition to degassing, bungs can pop if there is a temperature increase or a change in air pressure. Switch to a drilled stopper with airlock and let the wine set for another 2 to 4 weeks, then check SG again. If the SG hasn't changed, fermentation is not a problem.

The only place I use solid bungs is barrels, as there is evaporation through the wood so a vacuum forms inside. For all other containers I use an airlock or vented bung.

Latest posts

Back