Welch's White Grape Peach Tips?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I will be starting a 5 gallon batch of Welch's 100% White Grape Peach next weekend. I would appreciate any tips you may have learned from experience.

My Welch's 100% Concord Grape is now 7 months old. I shared 3 bottles with friends this past weekend, and it was a hit. It was much better than when first finished. I look forward to it reaching its first birthday!

Here is how I did my Welch's White Grape/Peach (6g)

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2595&PN=1

I had to use super clear on it. I think I started 1/20 and bottled 4/8. I filtered and it is very clear. It is also a darker yellow than I was expecting. Sorry I don't have a pic of it atm (we did so many that day I didn't have time for pics).

I used campden (because I wasn't thinking), while most feel that the Welch's frozen concentrate had enough to start with. We had a bottle last night and it went very fast but it did have a bit of an acid taste to it. I topped up with 250ml of wine conditioner on the first racking and about 750ml of Welch's White Grape/Peach at the next racking.

I have4 gallons in the secondary now. This time i used9 cans of concentrate. 3 per galon. I add sugar syrup so i get a bit over the basic 3 gallons. I always sanatize the must, use pectic enzyme, adjust acid, add tannin, nutrient and energizer. I use 1118 in a starter bottle.
The 4 gallon batch of welches 100% grape juice that will be ready for stabilizing and clearing in a few days is so good it is shocking.
These batches will be pushing me to the MM all juice kits even though i prefer doing all the adding and adjusting myself

I just sweetened mine yesterday and will bottle next weekend. here's my recipe and notes. I am quite impressed with how good this tastes already. I made this to share with mom and will make it again for sure.

White Grape/Peach 5 Gal. Recipe about $40.00

2/21/2007 Mixed ingredients 1.090
2/22/2007 Started yeast 1.090
2/25/2007 Into Secondary 1.010
3/7/2007 Rack & topped up add 1 more vanilla bean
3/22/2007 Rack/ de-gas / fin added 2 vanilla, 3 oz french med. oak
4/7/2007 Rack
4/22/2007 sweeten 450 ml sugar water
4/29/2007 Bottle

4 gallons Welches White Grape/Peach bottle juice
5 11.5 oz. cans White Grape/Peach frozen concentrate
7 small fresh peaches
1 can peach pie filling
3 ripe frozen medium banannas
3 tsp yeast energizer
11 tsp Acid Blend
5 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 vanilla beans 1 primary, 1 secondary
water to 5.25 gal.
~2 lbs sugar to 1.090
3 oz french med. oak in primary

ph 3.26
ta 7.8
lavin 1116

Jeff i bet that is a good tasting wine , I have a 5 gallon batch of peach going ,I used 1 gallon of fresh peach juice & 12 cans frozen welches white grape /peach

jeffhigdon said:
11 tsp Acid Blend

ph 3.26
ta 7.8
lavin 1116

11 tsp! WOW. I added none to mine and the ta was 7.5. I think it has a bit of a bite to it now (but it is still very young). I added 4tsp to my blush and it was over the top (for me), but I didn't test it.Edited by: Coaster

I made a batch also, except I cheated & added a family size can of peach halves. After filtering I added wine conditioner to back sweeten & it coluded back up. I'll have to filter it again, but it tastes great.

It was a modified version of a Jack Keller recipe. It had a little bite to it until I sweetened it last weekend. It's going to be ready to drink as soon as it's bottled. I'm really surprised on how good it is already. Of course I'm very new to this so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Smoke,

I've made this wine on three different occasions. I used 12ea 1/2 gallon bottles of juice (walmart brand), and added 6 cans of frozen concentrate and this turned out wonderful. I made 15 bottles (.75L) dessert style, 10 bottles semi-sweet, and 5 dry. I prefer the sweet, but semi-sweet was very good too (my wife didn't like it much). I'll make this again and sweeten the whole batch the same this time.

I am curious, why is there an apparent tendency to use juice and concentrate in these recipes when concentrate alone, diluted to the desired concentration with water, would achieve a similar final concentration of juice. I ask, because it will difficult for me to find juice.

Do you have a Walmart near by they have all kinds of juices , when ever wife and i go there i do the juice isle LOL
smiley36.gif

Walmart juice is cheaper than Welch's, and sometimes they have it on sale too. I use the concentrate for the flavor boost and extra sugar. You can by all means use just concentrate with equal results.

Not sure if you have an Aldi's located near you, but they have a concentrated White grape/peach. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to. I think they run $ 0.99. per can.

I get my concentrate at Wal-Mart where it is $1.68/can. That compares to $2.18 to $2.28/can at our major grocery chains. We do not have an Aldi's and I have not seen Wal-Mart's concentrates locally. Thanks for the feedback.

I tasted the wine as it continues to clear in the secondary. It is "hot" and has not a hint of peach flavor. I sweetened a very small portion and added a bit of peach flavoring. That improved the taste, but this one is going to have to age quite a while. I am definitely going to add the flavoring and back-sweeten. I am tempted to add a couple of cans of peach/white grape concentrate and stabilize but the last time I did that with another wine it became very cloudy.

I am also going to wait 2 weeks and if it hasn't cleared completely, I am going to add some bentonite.Edited by: Smokegrub

Did you reconstitute fully???((prox 3 cans to the gallon) Mine is finishing now and has a hint of a peach taste too. I used welches frozen. Edited by: scotty

I would prefer to but, like I said previously, the last time I did that I ended up with a cloudy wine. This time I plan to use J.D. Carlson's peach fruit flavoring and back-sweeten with sugar. If you do use a concentrate I would love to hear how it turns out, especially with regard to being able to clear it.

I used Welch's frozen concentrate and some canned peaches in the must.

Yes.

The turbidity formed after I added the concentrate. Before that, the wine was crystal clear!

Smokegrub said:
Yes.

The turbidity formed after I added the concentrate. Before that, the wine was crystal clear!
So you added pectic enzyme after you added the concentrate?????

Latest posts

Back