welch's receipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Campden Tablets

I have a 1 gal batch of Welch's frozen concentrate going. I added everything I thought I needed except the Campden Tablet.

I put the yeast in this past Sunday so it has been fermenting for two days.

My question is. Is it to late to add one campden tablet or should I just wait and add it before bottling.

Thanks much

I'd wait and add it after fermentation is complete since its gone this long already without it.

JS, I heard staring at the wine while its fermenting will make you crossed eyed and make the wine angry. We all know you don't want to make the wine angry. Start another batch right away, don't make this one angry. Try something a little different. We'll try to get you through the first one.

Don't be discouraged,I have made several batches of wine using frozen juice concentrate. It can and does work. If you really want to start another batch, I'll help you get it going and the other members will help make it a success for you.
Regards
Troy

I'm going to start over. What would you suggest I do different?

Oh ya. Thanks for the help

Maybe part grape part cherry, etc etc, thats up to you. Don't give up on the first one just yet!! One thing on the frozen juice is to read the ingredients on the can, make sure it doesent contain any sulfites, sorbate, or any other preservatives, citric acid or ascorbic acid is ok. Most in here would agree to use 3 cans per gallon. If you don't already have one, buy a hydrometer, it's crucial. Also make sure you use wine yeast not beer yeast or regular bread yeast. Beer/bread yeast will die when the alcohol reaches like 5 or 6%, wine yeast can tolerate much higher levels, so your wine wil be stronger.

I haven't pitched it yet. I do have a hydrometer, and it check out at 1.050 yesterday. The Welch's juice is pasteurized and it doesn't have any of the acid you mentioned. But it does have ascorbic acid, which I believe you said would be ok.

I used Red Star, Cote des Blancs wine yeast. I think i'm going to let it finish and rack it into the secondary this Sat.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted.

I believe a jug of blackberry is next!!!!!

This is a ton of fun. I feel like I just flew the Space Shuttle !! lol

OK I racked off the wine into the secondary on 2/16/09. WOW is it cloudy.

What should I do from this point?

Just bumping this thread up, as it's a good read..

how's the wine doing, it is clearing?

PATIENCE! It's one of those ingredients you cant buy. And son of a gun this is an old post, glad to see it isn't lost. I am still trying to get to the 1000 post mark, Wade will fly you to tour his cellar and taste his wines!!!!:ot:
Troy:f

Almost all wines will ferment dry given the right amount of nutrients and a yeast that will handle the starting sg. I would not go over 1.085 for an sg on this and almost any yeast will take that to dry.

You ever find a thread that makes you wonder how it turned out?
To me, this is one of those "orphan threads".
And since people's post count is pulled from current, these people seem to have disappeared from the forums and we will never know how they turned out.
:po

Latest posts

Back