Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's to bad Welch's doesn't make their concentrates anymore . Although many turned their noses at the Welch's wines, they really weren't that bad and early drinkers.

I bought out ( 22 cans ) some white concentrate at a Stop & Shop when I heard they were discontinuing it.

Oh and just a suggestion. Short the water. Only use enough to get to 4.5 gallons instead of 5. You’ll thank me later.

the 2 blackberries will mix with 15 lbs of elderberry are for, 2#, 6-gallon carboys and 1#, gallon jug, , the strawberry will go into a 3 gallon carboy and a half gallon jug to top of with, when i order for two 6 gallon carboys and 1 gallon jug i order 3 concentrates ,yep you are dead right about that, so much better flavor,, one thing about it is your tips are always dead on, and i very much appreciate it, like you i'd rather have way more flavor, i aint any to smart, but i'm smart enough to keep up with your posts, hehe, you and a few others i follow so i can read what yawl got to say,,,
Dawg

How does the Home Winery concentrates compare to the Vintners Fruit Base concentrates. I've used them in the past with excellent results. I always do the same as dralarms and short the water for a full bodied wine.

How does the Home Winery concentrates compare to the Vintners Fruit Base concentrates. I've used them in the past with excellent results. I always do the same as dralarms and short the water for a full bodied wine.
Never tried vinters fruit bases so I can’t answer that. Sorry. I will tell you that I’ve made a minimum of 30 batches and the only one I’ve ever been disappointed in is their Niagara concentrate. It’s not the same as welches white grape.

i have tried both and there is no comparison between the two, home winery all the way ,, just my two cents worth
Dawg

Never tried vinters fruit bases so I can’t answer that. Sorry. I will tell you that I’ve made a minimum of 30 batches and the only one I’ve ever been disappointed in is their Niagara concentrate. It’s not the same as welches white grape.

if you call in your order in, you can get extra pints so no need t short the water, hehe one of these day before i pass i hope to make a grape wine, lol,,, , yup a nice sweet grape wine, lol hehe,, one of these days

All of you looking for Welch's concentrated 100% grape juice....it's still available. It's now in a non frozen can, shelf stable. I've spoken to Welch's twice in the last 4-6 weeks. There's no shortage ot backlog. My local grocery manager (in NE Texas) also talked to Welch's. If you can find a store that can/will order straight from Welch's and not their supplier/distributor, you can get it.

A few months ago I went looking for Welch's frozen concentrate. What I found was Kroger brand frozen concentrate and it worked fine for me. Same size; 100% juice.

Two things to check out - the word "Blend" does that mean different varieties of Blackberry in their Blackberry Blend or does that mean Apple Juice, Pear Juice etc. AND the list of ingredients added sugar etc. You pay for that sugar volume too. It does make a big difference in flavor. There is at least one place that markets wine bases that are not labeled as blends but they are in fact a mix of Apple, Pear, White Grape and lastly the Name on the label like Blackberry etc.
That's the question. I don't think different varieties of blackberry is realistic. I think you hit it with apple, pear, and I would add Thompson seedless grape juice as likely ingredients. Somebody needs to venture into the "create a bulk account" domain to find out. One thing I noticed about Welch's juice in the large bottles is that some contain k-meta. Not a problem if you're topping up finished fermentations, but not useful for starting out.

That's the question. I don't think different varieties of blackberry is realistic. I think you hit it with apple, pear, and I would add Thompson seedless grape juice as likely ingredients. Somebody needs to venture into the "create a bulk account" domain to find out. One thing I noticed about Welch's juice in the large bottles is that some contain k-meta. Not a problem if you're topping up finished fermentations, but not useful for starting out.
You can overcome the kmeta. But not the potassium sorbate.

All of you looking for Welch's concentrated 100% grape juice....it's still available. It's now in a non frozen can, shelf stable. I've spoken to Welch's twice in the last 4-6 weeks. There's no shortage ot backlog. My local grocery manager (in NE Texas) also talked to Welch's. If you can find a store that can/will order straight from Welch's and not their supplier/distributor, you can get it.
Sir: Have you seen this product recently? Thanks for any additional info you can supply.

Latest posts

Back