WELCHS GRAPE RECIPE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. One more question. What kind of red wine would you call this. I got mine happily fermenting and just wanted to no what kind of wine this is.

Roger

Its a concord grape. My local winery called his Athenian, told me all I had to do to duplicate his recipe was to make the wine out of concentrate and ferment it out. Of course I like mine a little sweet so my recipe is different than his was.

as dralarms said, if it was red, it is concord, BUT if using the white grape, then it is niagara....

Has any one done oak aging with this recipe. If so how did it come out.

Roger

Up it to 4 cans if you want real flavor.

Link: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/welchs-concord-super-sugar-method-36379/

Yes, I have oaked it. It benefits from a few days of medium toasted oak. I would not want to oak 2 can batches, but the 4 can batches can stand up to it. I keep the oak in from 8-14 days. Not enough to really make it oaky but enough to add character and body. Take taste samples along the way, and stop just short of where you think it would be perfect if you left it another few days.

I'm very close to a truly outstanding bottle of this type of wine.

jswordy said:
Up it to 4 cans if you want real flavor.

Link: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/welchs-concord-super-sugar-method-36379/

Yes, I have oaked it. It benefits from a few days of medium toasted oak. I would not want to oak 2 can batches, but the 4 can batches can stand up to it. I keep the oak in from 8-14 days. Not enough to really make it oaky but enough to add character and body. Take taste samples along the way, and stop just short of where you think it would be perfect if you left it another few days.

I'm very close to a truly outstanding bottle of this type of wine.

Thanks for the info. I used on this new batch 2 1/2 cans. The nexed batch I will try 4 cans and no sugar.

Roger

Back