Welch's concord with the super-sugar method

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You all have to admit that I have been trying to be good lately. Watching videos like that sure makes it hard.

So what exactly would one call that? Hooker Red??

How disappointing, I was waiting for a real rant from @JohnT... :)

I was sold on that recipe at the Trojan part.

Hey,

Now that you have the wine, perhaps you could make cheese out of this...

or perhaps some nice salami out of this...

images

Don't get mad. you asked for it.

Can’t let this thread die.

I came across this recipe late last Fall and decided to give it a try. We sampled a concord wine at a local winery and my wife gave me the go ahead to make a sweet “Welch's” wine. I followed the recipe to a tee and the wine finished at the expected 14%. It was, however, way to sweet for me. I wanted to kick myself for making an un-drinkable wine. I planned to make a much dryer batch to dilute the super sugar with, maybe save it? Anyway, two months after I thought it was was a lost cause, I tasted it. To my complete surprise it was good. What the heck happened in those two months of bulk aging? It is still sweet but not too sweet. It has a bite on the back of the tongue like that from wine tannins or corn syrup. It has a slightly carbonated taste although it is completely de-gassed. It is awesome. When I make it again, I will make it exactly the same. Thank you Jswordy!

How long have you all been letting this sit in primary? It's been 2 weeks since I've pitch yeast and my sg is barely dropping from 1.075. It's been 2-3 years since I've made any wine and I don't remember it taking 2 weeks in primary. Temps have been steady around 72 with RC212.

My last batch had a OG of 1.140 and was down to 1.044 in 6 days. 1.036 after about two weeks. Is it foaming at all?

Yeah, that’s the funny part. I know the yeast is still munching away. Lift the lid and there’s a good bit of foam. Stir, and there’s more foam. Just seems as the the sg is taking its old sweet time. I remembered this batch too only taking a week to secondary.

Welch's is in Concord, MA (I went to high school there, but never saw it, just heard about it)
A lot of cranberry bogs in that area.

flower-lab.square.site

Back