Welches grape juice concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smok1

Reaction score
Hi, i just want to make sure when the recipes on this site call for "Welches white grape juice concentrate" is this the proper one? I posted a pic of the ingredients.

IMG_3380.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg

I would say no, because you're holding a fruit drink, with lots of additives. Juices for making wine should ideally be 100% fruit juice with maybe some ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).

Dam, i cannot find that one at any stores, tryed:
Safeway
Save-on-foods
Costco
Independant
Superstore

Guess ill try and hit up the health food stores

Safeway
Save-on-foods
Costco
Independant
Superstore

Do you live in the US? If so, try a Walmart, Kroger, etc.

Safeway
Save-on-foods
Costco
Independant
Superstore

I get mine from Walmart. If they don't have any, ask the manager to order some for you. Mine is $2.24/can. You may be able to get other stores to order it as well, especially if you buy a case quantity.

http://www.welchs.com/products/conc...ozen/100-white-grape-juice-frozen-concentrate

I would add that there ARE sulfites in this concentrate. When I started a batch, I let it sit for 24 hours before I pitched my yeast. No problem. With some Bentonite up front and Sparkolloid at the end, it's so clear I could read a book through it. The flavor is really good too.

Last edited:
Just tryed walmart and the health food stores, seems everyone around just sells fake frozen juices now, no 100% juice concentrates of any except apple and orange. Rest is just fruit punch type concentrates.

I get mine from Walmart. If they don't have any, ask the manager to order some for you. Mine is $2.24/can. You may be able to get other stores to order it as well, especially if you buy a case quantity.

http://www.welchs.com/products/conc...ozen/100-white-grape-juice-frozen-concentrate

I would add that there ARE sulfites in this concentrate. When I started a batch, I let it sit for 24 hours before I pitched my yeast. No problem. With some Bentonite up front and Sparkolloid at the end, it's so clear I could read a book through it. The flavor is really good too.

Thanks ill ask around, i just wanted a couple cans to enhance my strawberry rhubarb wine im about to start but i can just use sugar to get my sg up if it comes down to it.

Thanks ill ask around, i just wanted a couple cans to enhance my strawberry rhubarb wine im about to start but i can just use sugar to get my sg up if it comes down to it.

Just for fun, you could consider contacting Welchs to find out who is their distributor in your area then ask who they sell this product to.

Just a thought. I've made two entire batches with Welchs white grape concentrate and they've been really, really good. Friends and family literally drank it all ...

Just for fun, you could consider contacting Welchs to find out who is their distributor in your area then ask who they sell this product to.

Just a thought. I've made two entire batches with Welchs white grape concentrate and they've been really, really good. Friends and family literally drank it all ...

Well all of the grocery stores i visited carries welches products. Welches freezies, welches juice punches like the one i posted the picture of and welches grape juice (in the glass jars) but first thing i noticed is the 100% white grape juice in the jar had pottasium sorbate listed on the ingredients and i dont want anything to stress out the yeast on my rhubarb strawberry wine. I will go to my local grocery store and ask them about bringing me in a couple cases of the concentrate so i can have on hand.
On the other hand the can of welches grape drink above the ingredients dont look too bad, do you think one can would be ok in a 5 gallon batch of wine? Sodium Citrate is the only ingredient on there im not too sure about

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the sorbate. I forgot it was in there, pitched some EC1118 and it took off! LOL, I don't know what would slow that monster down ... maybe zero sugar? LOL! No joke ... one day later and it was off to the races.

I have NO idea what the grape drink would be like. You could always make a one gallon batch and see. Or forego that and try some of the pure juice from a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or Sprouts or Fresh Market.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sorbate. I forgot it was in there, pitched some EC1118 and it took off! LOL, I don't know what would slow that monster down ... maybe zero sugar? LOL! No joke ... one day later and it was off to the races.

I have NO idea what the grape drink would be like. You could always make a one gallon batch and see. Or forego that and try some of the pure juice from a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or Sprouts or Fresh Market.

Im gonna throw a can in, gluctose-fructose and the sugar should just get gobbled up by the ec1118 anyways, next main ingredient is concentrated white grape juice, then the citric acid and absorbic acid i could probly use in there anyways, ill check my TA tommorrow once the pectic enzymes have a little while to work on the strawberries and rhubarb

It will work but what is it. Is half actually juice? Glucose & fructose are sugars but sugar is listed separately. And , "natural flavor" what is the natural thing that tastes grape juice that is not grape juice?
Maybe you can find 100% apple juice and use it in place of water. I get at whole foods and in comes in a
1 gal glass carboy.

Nothing personal, but.....

LOL, there are times you want to make a batch of wine but funds are very limited and for a three gallon batch of White Grape Niagara, it's about $20 bucks and the wife/bank-account-monitor doesn't realize you bought some grape concentrate when you buy some groceries at Walmart ...

Two daughters getting married in the same year will do that to your bank account.

Whether it is meant to be or not, "Nothing personal...." is just a thinly-veiled way of telling someone you think you or the way you do things are better than everyone else. It actually is almost always quite personal.

LOL, there are times you want to make a batch of wine but funds are very limited and for a three gallon batch of White Grape Niagara, it's about $20 bucks and the wife/bank-account-monitor doesn't realize you bought some grape concentrate when you buy some groceries at Walmart ...

Two daughters getting married in the same year will do that to your bank account.

Hahahaha i donthe same thing with frozen fruit when she tells me thats enough wine kits for this month honey... ok babe, im just gonna go grab some groceries aka 25lbs of frozen berries lol

Whether it is meant to be or not, "Nothing personal...." is just a thinly-veiled way of telling someone you think you or the way you do things are better than everyone else. It actually is almost always quite personal.

In a general context, I agree with your sentiment.

In the case of taste, however, I am not sure I agree. Let's take cilantro. While I love cilantro, many people have genetic predisposition such that, to them, cilantro tastes like soap.

I think it may be a similar phenomenon with V. labrusca grapes. They contain methyl anthranilate, which is an important part what makes them taste "grapey," like the flavor in artificial grape candy. I am of the opinion (with admittedly no proof) that people have varying sensitivity to this compound. I can barely tolerate grape candy, and really dislike V. labrusca wine. (Which is a little funny, because I desperately want to like it. I'd strongly prefer to like products from local plants.)

Ironically for Redbird, methyl anthranilate is a potent bird repellant!

I don't disagree with any of that, except that I've never heard anyone say, "Nothing personal, but I think cilantro tastes like soap."

Appreciate the lesson. I've heard the same thing said about citra hops and onion flavors. I'm glad I don't have that problem. Citra hops are delicious.

Back