Wedding Favor - Kit suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was asked last night if I would be interested in making a couple kits and bottleing in 375 ml bottles to be used as wedding favors (gifts for guests). The wedding is Sept 2011, and I told the person I would need to have everything shortly after the begining of the year so that it could age for a minimum of 6 months before being given out.

Our brewing place carries W.E. kits. Looking for suggestions for kits that could be a general all purpose wine that most would enjoy so that I can recommend to the person who asked me. I would be looking at getting 3-4 kits probably.

I would stick with the basics that most people would recognize. Reds and whites and maybe a blush. The different ones at the table would allow people to trade. I would do a Merlot, Cab. Sauv., Zinfandel, Riesling.

Customize the labels around the Bride and Groom. You could also rather than do half size bottles you could give each couple a standard bottle. It would be a little less work but they would only get 1 flavor.

Hey maybe it could be one of our weddings?

What a lovely idea. Have you got anything you can turn into champagne?

What a lovely idea. Have you got anything you can turn into champagne?

I've just started into this wonderful hobby last October. Haven't thought about making any type of champagne. I was quite surprised and also honored when I was asked last night. Of course nothing if definate if they are going to go this route.

My son was married this past October and Mike and I made the wine. We placed a bottle on each table and stocked the bar with the rest. We went through 75 bottles. It was a huge hit, actually I had these little 70 and 80 year old ladies going around to other tables taking wine if no one else was drinking them and taking them home.

Is this going to be wine for everyone to sip during the reception or served with a meal?

I see you are from Penn. and summer weddings can warm. If I were making a wine for a summer wedding I would make this. It is inexpensive and make an awesome summer wine.

http://www.winexpert.com/pdfs/productsheets/white_cranberry_pinot_gris.pdf

I think they were more intending on them to be a small token of appreciation for the guests attending the wedding for them to take home with them. This is why he was inquiring about the 375 ml bottles.

I would imagine anything over and above the require number of 375's would be bottled into 750's and placed behind the bar for drinking at the reception.

Went to a wedding last summer that a friend made the wine for.
He made a gewurzamriner and did a nice job on the labels and caps, but he recently told me he was dissapointed that he hadn't used a better cork, because when he opened some of them up(recently) the corks were failing.
They put 375's at every place-setting and he made a case (or two?) of 750's for the bride and groom to take home.
The couple also put a sticker on the bottom of one bottle per table and at the end of the night, whoever had the sticker on their bottle got to take home the table centerpiece.

Tell your friend to ask the place the reception is if he can bring it in. If they have a liquor license then I doubt he can serve it. I think they would not have a problem if it was gonna be "gifts and not drunk there.
Ck it out BEFORE you commit to making it.
Tis a great Idea !
I have given bottles to the bride and groom with their picture and wedding date on the label.

Doug,
Nothing can be more special for this occassion than rose petal wine and with the spring coming, there will be plenty of fresh petals from friends/neighbors when you tell them your plight. I used this recipe (top of the two), using Mr. Lincoln and Monet rose petals. The result was a very pretty, opalescent blush...I topped off my racks with white grape juice...
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques3.asp

Tell your friend to ask the place the reception is if he can bring it in. If they have a liquor license then I doubt he can serve it. I think they would not have a problem if it was gonna be "gifts and not drunk there.
Ck it out BEFORE you commit to making it.
Tis a great Idea !
I have given bottles to the bride and groom with their picture and wedding date on the label.

Tom is right. Guests are not to open the wine at the reception if the hall provides the alcohol. We always announce for guests to take them home and think of Bride and Groom as they enjoy the wine with their favorite meal.

I've even given some of my clients wine with their photo and wedding date on it and tell them to have it on their anniversary.

I was asked to make some wine for my sons wedding with little time to spare. I made a white zin with instructions to open on their first anniversary. Even if they opened it early, it would be passable but better if they waited the full year. I made up labels with their color scheme and date. I also made them 2 full cases to save or use as they wished.

Latest posts

Back