Weathering the Storm!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is everyone on the east coast doing and how are you preparing for the ongoing and impending storm of doom?

This storm has had the eye of the news and weather channels now for days and we are expected to be impacted by it from Tuesday through Thursday up here in upstate NY. One of the latest models shows it's center coming right over the op oif us Wedsnesday and thursday. I'm not sure what to think about it, but I am taking it seriously after TS Irene and then Lee last year one after another.

I'm in Mass. Expect to get high winds, 1-2 inches of rain. Put all the lawn furniture away today. In process of charging the batteries for the bilge pump and the portable lights. Better safe than sorry ! Good thing I have plenty of wine on hand.

I chased us out of florida yesterday and I'm heading to North Wilmington, delaware on Tuesday.

Upcoming Storm

Best of luck to you guys on the East coast. Our thoughts are with you.

Mike

Spent the better part of the day securing loose items in my backyard, irrigation pipes, 20 gallon buckets that I use to container grow certain veggies....my wife somehow thought that mowing the lawn was essential Hurricane prep...LOL

Likewise finished securing garden cages, poles, trelis. My garden usually floods when the stream goes out of its banks. All other loose items secured. Generated tested, 30 gals of gas on hand, campstove an light available. Chainsaw ready.

With all this prep, it is sure to miss us. Hopefully.

I am at Hilton Head on vacation and it was a little tense as the storm blew by us. Nothing happended here except a little wind and very little rain.

Put all yard stuff away, filled the car and 4-5 gallon gas cans up and fired up the generator. Will wire the gen up tomorrow to the house as I was really waiting to replace the existing breaker box before doing so but this seals the deal for now. Yeah my wife asked if I was going to rake the yard today and was like are you frigging crazy, the yard will be a mess in less than 24 hours, if you want you can go for it! LOL Filled any empty carboys and primaries up with water also.

yep, that's what I said...the hurricane will take care of the leaves! I've got one empty 5 gallon carboy to fill, and several clips to load.....you just never know....

I hadn't thought about that, but YEAH! That could do it. The oak leaves are about 6 inches deep this time of year all over the acre of lawn. I usually just chop them up with the mower, but I will give them to Sandy instead.

I have plenty to drink myself, probably 2000 bottles or so from 2011 and if I get hard up a few thousand gallons of 2012, although that might be a bit "young".

LMAO!!!! Yep, I think that you will be set in the drinking department!...lol
Is the storm going to hit you guys that far north?

It has the potential to be just as bad or worse up here as Irene proved last year. The hills and mountains shed all that rain somewhere and several towns were wiped right off the map both here and in Vermont. This storm is expected to last from Monday through Thursday here and we are already covered with clouds and fog here with rain expected to start soon and last until next Saturday. Gusts aren't expected more than 70 mph, but when the ground is saturated, that is bad enough.

Rocky said:
I am at Hilton Head on vacation and it was a little tense as the storm blew by us. Nothing happended here except a little wind and very little rain.

Rocky:
Just came back from Hilton Head, always go down 2nd week in October, stay at Spinnaker Waterside, perfect weather then.......
Al

We're on the coast here at the fire department expecting up to 10 foot tidal surges with a higher than usual high tide anyways. I've already been ordered to stay for an additional 24 hours past my regular 24 hour shift. They're saying it could approach 18 feet above sea level because of long island sound "bottlenecking" the water in towards us. And I'm assigned to the rescue truck. Needless to say I expect to be a little busy!

On an important note I had to put off pressing my koch cabernet because of the storm! Hopefully I'll be pressing Tuesday. Stay warm everybody and tip a glass for me.

My biggest problem is a few 80 year old soft maple trees near my home. I can probably deal with that but, I saw on the news tonight that the folks in the northern part of my county, along the shores of Lake Ontario, are being warned of 16-21 foot waves. Are you kidding? You guys on the ocean may be accostomed to that but these homes are build like 100 feet from the shore and we never get those kind of waves. The kid at the gas station this AM said they already sold 1000 gallons today before noon.

What can I say? I hope everyone takes precautions and stay safe. For all the rescue personal and utility crews, thank you for all the extra time you're putting in and I hope someone is watching over your families and homes while your protecting everyone else.

Back