Weathering the Storm!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wish all of you on the path of this storm the best. Third generation to survive Johnstown flood so I understand what you all are facing.

Just forked out $228 for new wire for the generator for the new house. A lot of the gas stations here are already out of gas. Line in Home Depot was well over 60 people deep waiting for a truck with generators, wait until they get it and find out that no one has any of the wire left to hook up that generator! I bought the last 85' of wire that anyone had within a 100 mile radius of my house including electrical stores, Lowes, and Home Depot. It wasnt even the wire I wanted but it will work fine and it actually may be a godsend as this is designed to be put underground and I may just do that in time. The generator will now run while locked up snugly in the shed which is vented and very strong! Its nice in the new house as the big appliances are all gas so we can now run everything!
We are locked and loaded here also as people just get nuts.

Good luck to everyone especially those along the shoreline. We ran out of gas in town today with everyone filling up cars and gas cans. After what we were hit with here last October no one is taking any chances with this one.

I hope everyone recovers well from this storm - Our hearts and our prayers go out to all of you !!
Wade I am glad you were able to get the generator all ready - I am also very prepared in many different ways - because you never know what may hit us next. Defintley fill up all the containers for water - including bathtubs to be able to flush the toilets. Eat what ever is in the fridge first as it will spoil first - and make a list now - what is in the fridge and freezer so you do not have to open it - just to see what you have

sorry for rambling

We are expecting high winds and rain in WV. There is also a rumor of possible snow as well. I know they are susposed to get it in the mountains, but I am not sure about here.. We have plenty of supplies to get by with till this thing has passed..

My wife and I were headed west on 80 in Pennsylvania yesterday, the east bound lane was convoy after convoy of electric company line trucks. We were on 80 for about 40 miles and saw way over 100 trucks. One group was stopped along the side of the road with a broken truck and 3 air boats.

Got stocked up on batteries, food, and really awful movies. Also took one of my 600 liter fermentation tubs, cleaned it and have it filled with potable water.

Policed my yard and stowed anything that can move. All set for the big blow!

My God find you all safe and warm at the end of this thing!

johnT.

Pics

Here are a couple pictures of the creek 60 yds behind my house. It is almost out of its banks, but is probably 5-8 ft below my house so hopefully we stay dry. I firgured I would get some pics before it goes out of its banks. No way am I going back there when it is out.

Normally this is a trickle and maybe 5 feet wide. Now it is 30 wide and 4 ft deep.

Worst storm so far was Floyd and it got half way to our house.

IMG_20121029_130326_803 (1280x720).jpg

IMG_20121029_130334_268 (1280x720).jpg

Wind is really picking up here and the power has flickered a few times. We just be getting the brunt of it in about 2-4 hours. We got sent home from work early today for the first time ever and I have been there on and off but mostly on for over 18 years and they always bust our chops during the nastiest storms if we wanted to leave and this time they said you can leave earlier but we are closing up at 12 noon. We all fell over when they said that!!!

The youngest son just called home to say that their campus has lost power and they are having a rave party! Must be the younger generations meaning of a hurricane party!

Well.... Sandy got me!!!! I'm sitting in the dark..... And the wind is howling outside..... Don't think there's any damage... Or flooding so far

I hear Butler is in the dark which is about 12 miles north of me but so far, still got lights but the wind is really picking up and no school tomorrow. DAM!!!!!!!!!!!! There goes a long weekend sometime in the spring.

I'm a little north of Boston, seem to be ok. Still have strong gust, didn't get to much rain. Was off from work anyway so I didn't have to travel in this mess. The wife had no school, she cleaned the house, cooked and read her books. I "worked" on my wines. Checked my Zinfindel juice, almost ready for MLF. Racked my RJS Cab, for more bulk aging. Stabilized, added F-Pack, Cleared my Choc. Rasp Port. Not to happy with the port, It stopped fermenting at 1.020 ! Taste good just the same. Hope everyone makes it through the storm ok.

Baker.... Boston.... Wow, this is a monster storm... Hey I'm about to do the choc raz port... Did you add half the f pack in the primary?.... I hear 1.020 is what a lot of people are getting...then hit it with some brandy.... Julie are you in upstate pa?...

Ok Julie.... Steeler country.....lol, I'm sitting here in the dark, about 25 miles north of philly.... Last bit of info I heard was sally's headed your way..... I hope she takes that sharp northern turn before she reaches you.....good luck!!

Here in Dutchess County NY, power has gone out 4 times for far and we are getting 30-40 mph sustained winds with gusts up around 60 mph, winds are howling like crazy! Be careful PA and MD, it's on it's way.

Ok Julie.... Steeler country.....lol, I'm sitting here in the dark, about 25 miles north of philly.... Last bit of info I heard was sally's headed your way..... I hope she takes that sharp northern turn before she reaches you.....good luck!!

Dang I hope it take a sharp south turn. North would be me up by Lake Erie.

Latest posts

Back