Weather Report

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker

Reaction score
The heat is on. Three locks with wine in them this AM. Check your cellar. :b

Yep, heat and severe barometric changes can wreak havic on levels in your carboys!

Auckland has officially been designated a drought zone today..

supposed to be raining here.. almost winter and we have had one night of rain since mid summer.

Wow, we had 10" of rain in a few days and Fema is down here inspecting. Its been really nice out the last few days, actually we set a record for this time of year yesterday with 92 but it wasnt very humid thank goodness cause we are not used to that kind of heat yet.

92? OMG!

We have been hitting mid 80's here in Pennsyltucky in the last few weeks...

It is so weird to go from snow to heat waves (in about a week)... but I should be used to it by now, I've lived here my whole life.

Lucky for me my basement temp stays pretty constant year-round.

Yeah, in my town it was 88* Thursday and 80* and supposed to be 62* All the plants here are blooming like crazy about 1-2 months early due to this very early warm spell we have been having for the last few weeks. I hope the weather doesnt take a drastic turn cause all my and everyone's plants will be in for a big surprise!

I hope it doesn't happen either(I only saw 40º today after seeing 70º the day before). My weatherman says I'm in for frost tonight too.

Im not to hip on this stuff yet, is any frost a killing frost? I truly hope he is wrong! We were expected to get one of those frosts a few weeks ago but luckily the weatherman could predict a hemorroid and blew it by 18*! Hehehe

My two Cherry trees started to bloom yesterday and I am hoping we don't get a killing frost. We did last year and I lost all the cherries and my concord grapes as well.

Sorry to hear your having the heat you are seeing out east. My concern as well here in the midwest is we may see blooming of the fruit trees so early and then wham, another frost which may kill all the apple blooms. I've seen it before and didn't enjoy. We may hit 64 today. It's really early and the lakes are free of ice which most years doesn't happen untill mid to late April and sometimes into May. I rototilled my garden the other day but will wait for another two weeks for cool weather crops and then late may for tomatoes and tender stuff just because of possible frost till June 1.

I can't wait to rototill my garden. I need to get rid of the 11 yards of topsoil I dug out of my back yard and piled on the driveway and garden so I could put a patio in before I can til. Garden didn't do real well last year. Hopefully this year will be better.

Patio will be nice when it's done. Already had our first fire in the hole we dug out while my son and I drank a bottle of Blackberry Cabernet. The perfect end to a hard day (12 hrs) of work.

My trees and bulbs started blooming here. I don't even want to think of the possibility of frost!

I haven't even started digging my garden out yet. We got a bad blight last year that ruined all our tomatoes so I hope that doesn't happen again! I am going to start seeds inside soon though.

Daisey we got the same thing here last year with the tomatoes. Last fall I tilled the entire vegetable garden over and tripled the size of my formal peony garden. I have close to 30 varieties and 10 peony treees in it. I live in the country and can stop at a bunch of different stands around here and get the vegitables I want. I do still have a patch of garlic coming up though that I saved from last year.

New England in general had a very bad year for tomatoes last year, I dont know anyone who really got any. My Black Currant bushes are just going wild and are flowering already!

We're having the typical NW Indiana weather, for this time of year.

As long as there's no snow for the Cub's home opener, I take that as a good sign.

Peace,
Bob

Wade, to try and answer your question on frost. If it hits your plant(you can see frost on the green growth) then yes it can be a killing frost. I'm not an expert on all kinds of plants but can say grapes don't like frost at all! I'm hoping apples fare better. Both of my wifes 2 apple trees have leafed out over a week ago. Most of my grapes have very large buds swollen on them but do not show leaves opened up yet. I may have dodged a bullet with them, we'll see in the next few days if they made it thru or not.

Cover the plants with a frost cloth or hessian sacks overnight if there is danger of frost and remove them the next morning... for low plants or seedlings.. pop a (weighted) cardboard box over the top.

for a light spring frost.. if you get out in the garden before the sun hits the frost .. you can wash the frost off the plants with cold water. I use this method for spring growth on roses.

Allie

Cover the plants with a frost cloth or hessian sacks overnight if there is danger of frost and remove them the next morning... for low plants or seedlings.. pop a (weighted) cardboard box over the top.

for a light spring frost.. if you get out in the garden before the sun hits the frost .. you can wash the frost off the plants with cold water. I use this method for spring growth on roses.

Allie

They also use the sprinkling system around here on the strawberry fields during a frost.

Back