Weather finally broke.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
We are only supposed to get up into the 70's today. Big storm last nite, cold front came thru. Was in the 90's yesterday and the same for weeks before that. Big wind with the front, soon as it gets light out gotta get the chain saw out. Limb about 10" or so broke out of our big cottonwood. Havn't checked the rain gauge yet, but the tv says a town a short ways away got about 4 1/2 inches last nite. Most of ours came like it was pouring out of a bucked. Was thinking ahead tho, and got the last of the elderberries picked before this came thru. Think I have enough for about 3 gal. Have not weighed them yet but will before I start em fermenting. Need to make another batch of skeeter p first. That stuff just don't stick around. lol Take care all. Arne.

Ours has been stuck for two days now. Tropical low sitting off the Gulf Coast and is just pumping showers in one after another.
We have a thing down here they call "training" where the system doesn't move and the rain showers move in a straight line. If you get under one of those paths, it's easy to get 3, 4 or sometimes even more inches in a day.
Just 5 miles from us, they got 3 inches yesterday, but we only got about 1/2".
I'm glad to see you weathered the storm.

Nebraska is not too far Southwest of me and Florida is light years South for me. I might be able to handle Neb. but Florida is out of the question for me. I have a hard time with the temps and humidity we have been seeing hear in Mpls. lately. We have been having a warm humid and wet summer here, normally by this time my grass is drying out, crunchy and needs cutting like every two weeks but this year so far at least once a week. I have to hand it to you guys for living with the heat, rain, and all else you put up with. I am definetely a northern boy, and prefer the time from September till late June here. I can put up with some heat but humidity knocks me right out. Growing up on the South shore of lake Superior I learned to love deep snow, steep slopes, great ski tracks, snowshoes, and ice on the lakes. I am looking forward to moving the 200 miles north when retirement comes in a few years. Those temps you are seeing have been good for skeeter pee tho so keep on brewing boys.

When I moved out here 40 plus years ago the humidity was not anywhere near as bad as it is now. Now about every section is full of pivot irrigation. We get some nasty humidity. Not as bad as it is in places down south but pretty awful anyway. Btw yooper, most years in Aug. the grass is perfect when you walk across it and it sounds like potatoe chips. lol

Latest posts

Back