WE vs RJS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m still trying to get a grasp the one kit per year line from the OP. Is that all the wine you make in a year, or do you mean that you make the rest of your wine out of grocery store juice? I buy 10-15 kits a year, 5 per order, so it seemed odd to me that one kit would last a year.

haha I use to make several a year. Been out of the game for a year or two. So I’m just easing back into it. Ill make this one, we’ll see what life is looking like by the fall. I plan on bulk aging this for awhile. May start another!

I haven't made the Reserve or Private Reserve by WE. I don't like the WE Classic because they combine Sulfite and Sorbate in a single packet and I never use Sorbate. Not really a big deal since a always have K-meta on hand anyway.

Chiming in here as a long-time WE maker.

RJS and Winexpert use nearly the same amount of juice. The former is still Grape Juice from Concentrate, and the latter Concentrate.

They no longer add water beforehand to the Winexpert kits. This means that the water you use matters more, but otherwise it means the kit is more portable. It's a common issue that people don't recognize that the bigger kit isn't necessarily better quality. Worried that WE will backpedal because people can't get over the change.

Personally I've found the quality more consistent than ever in WE, and RJS is a bit over the place, though I prefer their marketing.

"RJS and Winexpert use nearly the same amount of juice. The former is still Grape Juice from Concentrate, and the latter Concentrate.

They no longer add water beforehand to the Winexpert kits. This means that the water you use matters more, but otherwise it means the kit is more portable. It's a common issue that people don't recognize that the bigger kit isn't necessarily better quality. Worried that WE will backpedal because people can't get over the change."

Jon, may I ask where you obtained this information? Are you saying that RJS begins with a concentrate and then adds water to it in order to increase the volume? I somewhat agree that "the bigger kit isn't necessarily better quality" but I also believe, as Hugh Keough did "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet.”

I must respectfully state that it does not agree with my experience.

"RJS and Winexpert use nearly the same amount of juice. The former is still Grape Juice from Concentrate, and the latter Concentrate.

They no longer add water beforehand to the Winexpert kits. This means that the water you use matters more, but otherwise it means the kit is more portable. It's a common issue that people don't recognize that the bigger kit isn't necessarily better quality. Worried that WE will backpedal because people can't get over the change."

Jon, may I ask where you obtained this information? Are you saying that RJS begins with a concentrate and then adds water to it in order to increase the volume? I somewhat agree that "the bigger kit isn't necessarily better quality" but I also believe, as Hugh Keough did "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet.”

I must respectfully state that it does not agree with my experience.

I received the information from our representative at Winexpert. By all means I am making the assumption that RJS follows the same formula that Winexpert used to, and the way Winexpert used to make the kits is so: they start with the concentrate then add water, as you mentioned before.

If RJS doesn't do this, then I would be impressed but would also wonder how such a large kit could ferment properly with such a high concentrate, without going off like a must from a 100% juice company like Mosti Mondaile.

Latest posts

Back