WE vs RJS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswendell

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all,

I’ve only ever made WE eclipse series reds, they switched obviously to a new brand (private reserve?) Not sure if it’s good or bad.

Anyway, looking for my annual kit, I’ve never tried an RJS kit. I was looking at the
Italian Super Tuscan online.

Pros vs cons? Another recommendation?

Thanks!

I've gone back and forth between WE and RJS and I find them to be about equal. However, under WE's new product structure, I'm finding RJS to be a slightly better value. In choosing, I look for the kit that best fits my need and whether that's WE or RJS is secondary. For example, I'll soon be doing an RJS Argentina Trio which doesn't have a comparable WE. One exception to what I've said is in the LEs where I've never tried RJS. I've found WE LE kits to be almost uniformly very good.

BTW, I made the RJS Super Tuscan and found it to be excellent. I saved some for 2+ years and it was great.

Hey all,

I’ve only ever made WE eclipse series reds, they switched obviously to a new brand (private reserve?) Not sure if it’s good or bad.

Anyway, looking for my annual kit, I’ve never tried an RJS kit. I was looking at the
Italian Super Tuscan online.

Pros vs cons? Another recommendation?

Thanks!
If I were to make just one annual kit. The RJS Super Tuscan would be one of my top choices. Consistently excellent.

I'll let others be the test pilots for the revamped WE line up. Until I hear positive reports from reliable sources, I'm going all RJS for the time being.

Either kit has its good points I've never descovered really bad profiles on either.
I've made a ton of kits from $40 to $200 dollars , it's all subjective to taste, nothing more.

I have made wine from both manufacturers and in my opinion, RJS is superior. That said, I have made most of my wine from WE kits because my supplier only carried that brand and the prices were really reasonable. In almost every case, I do some "enhancing" to the WE kits.

Regarding RJS Super Tuscan, I would say it is one of the best wine kits that I have ever made. Looking back through my notes, I see no other enhancements to this kit than a little more oak. (I think I may have been a squirrel in a previous life.) BTW, the best price I have seen on this kit is here:

Wine Ingredient Kit - En Primeur Winery Series - Italian Super Tuscan

Note that there is free shipping to the lower 48.

I have made wine from both manufacturers and in my opinion, RJS is superior. That said, I have made most of my wine from WE kits because my supplier only carried that brand and the prices were really reasonable. In almost every case, I do some "enhancing" to the WE kits.

Regarding RJS Super Tuscan, I would say it is one of the best wine kits that I have ever made. Looking back through my notes, I see no other enhancements to this kit than a little more oak. (I think I may have been a squirrel in a previous life.) BTW, the best price I have seen on this kit is here:

This is great info! And a great price too. Thanks so much!

I've a preference for RJS over WE. However because of where I shop I do 2-3 times more WE kits than RJS. Guess my preference for RJS isn't that strong. :h

BTW, the RJS Super Tuscan is one of my favorites!

Super Tuscan, bring the SG to 14/15%
Add I cup of SunMaid raisins to the primary along with 2cups of oak(any kind) . And one bag of grape skins.( Vinco)
In the secondary powder tannins and let nature do its thing for a few months, then rack and let rest for a year.
Get ready for staying away to be good this one needs patience.

I’m still trying to get a grasp the one kit per year line from the OP. Is that all the wine you make in a year, or do you mean that you make the rest of your wine out of grocery store juice? I buy 10-15 kits a year, 5 per order, so it seemed odd to me that one kit would last a year.

To each his or her own.
Asking for advice on what,when and how is what we're here for.,I for one since 2007 and before that on the old forum have heard it all time and time again , so I say the question was ???

So what’s so good about super Tuscan? Smooth tannins, easy acid, great mouthfeel, good flavor? I see so much about it
on the forum but no actual description.

In my case, I can't comment on a comparison versus WE as I haven't made the WE. Instead, I judge a wine against my expectations and general experience. That goes to the heart of your post because each individual will have their particular preferences, which is why I drive a Chevy instead of a Ferrari.

I'm curious to see what others express. In order for me to be able to compare specific wines, I need a live / side-by-side comparison which isn't possible. To do so, would require me to make two equivalent wines at the same.

Last edited:

Rocky, can you describe the characteristics of that wine for me? Thanks,............................Dizzy

If I were to make just one annual kit. The RJS Super Tuscan would be one of my top choices. Consistently excellent.

I'll let others be the test pilots for the revamped WE line up. Until I hear positive reports from reliable sources, I'm going all RJS for the time being.
Brian, Can you describe the characteristics of that wine for me? Thanks..............Dizzy

So what’s so good about super Tuscan? Smooth tannins, easy acid, great mouthfeel, good flavor? I see so much about it
on the forum but no actual description.
Wood, that's exactly what I want to know................what does it taste like, and what makes it such a superior wine? That's alot of $$ to pay for a kit unless you know what to expect. Any feedback for us would be great.......................Dizzy

Latest posts

Back