WineXpert WE Vinters reserve Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to find out if anyone has made this kit and if it is worth the time.
Usually I wouldn't go for a kit, but its been a dry year and my vines don't have any grapes, so I'm considering alternatives.

WE Vinters reserve kits and muntons are the only kits that can be gotten without ordering from overseas in South africa...

Haven't tried the Shiraz, but I've done several VR kits. They are ok for a table wine. Don't expect lots of body, and nose etc. The Mezza Luna is nasty, but every other one I've done has been ok.

Haven't tried the Shiraz, but I've done several VR kits. They are ok for a table wine. Don't expect lots of body, and nose etc. The Mezza Luna is nasty, but every other one I've done has been ok.

Thank you! That helps.

Regarding Mezza Luna Red: mine just turned 18 months old and, to my surprise, is turning into something decent. As pointed out, not a lot of body, nose etc. on these low end kits but give it a couple of years and it should be drinkable. Earlier it is rather unpleasant.

Shiraz with black CORTHIAN grapes

the only thing you need to do with these kits is to think outside the box.:HB

1 Wineexpert Shiraz kit.jpg

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

IMG_20141001_165941006.jpg

I made the VR Diablo Rojo kit, but tweaked it quite a bit (added grape concentrate/used skins/Fermentation tannins etc). In general it has a lot of oak character and I would be drinking it now if not for the excessive tweaks. I think it will be good but I have to wait for my tweaks to smooth out a bit. It is about 8 months old but needs some more time.

It does come with a sweetener pack that I will omit the next time I make it. I'm finding that I prefer my reds as dry as I can get them.

Diablo rojo the finish

DIABLO ROJO; THIS OFF, DRY AND DARK PURPLE IN COLOR BLEND ,NOISE OF BLACKBERRY JAM MINGLED WITH CREATIVE VANILLA AROMAS AND A TOUCH OF TOBACCO AND A BRANDY STYLE FINISH YET IT IS A WINE ALL THE WAY.

SOUNDS LIKE MOUTHFUL. WHERE GONNA MAKE IT JUST THAT. OUR TWEAKS TO THIS KIT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS.

WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE YEAST ,TWO EC 1118 THIS IS DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS IN OUR WORKSPACE. SECONDLY, GOING TO ADD A SMOKED WOODEN STAVE ALONG WITH OAK TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY. WE ARE GOING TO USE A BELLY BAND DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE IN OUR WORKSPACE. THE OAK STAVE WILL GO IN THE PRIMARY, THE OAK TANNINS WILL GO IN THE SECONDARY AND LONG WITH A HANDFUL OF FRESH BLACKBERRIES JUST SQUEEZED. THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FPAC JUST A HANDFUL OF BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER
BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER NOTHING TO OVERWHELM JUST A TOUCH OF BLACKBERRY DEPTH. REMEMBER, THIS IS STILL A ROJO AND THE STYLE IS BOLD AND FRUITY. WE MAY ALSO BRING UP THE ABV. TO 1.14. THIS ONE SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A MOUTHFUL... FOLLOW THE FLOW..

FINISH; great flavor fruits and woods intertwined medium body and smooth finish. If I WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IT WOULD BOOSTED UP THE PH A LITTLE MORE.
eloped characteristic.

1.jpg

4a.jpg

16 (2).jpg

16A (2).jpg

20.jpg

Regarding Mezza Luna Red: mine just turned 18 months old and, to my surprise, is turning into something decent. As pointed out, not a lot of body, nose etc. on these low end kits but give it a couple of years and it should be drinkable. Earlier it is rather unpleasant.

Funny you say this. I am sipping a 27-month-old Mezza Luna red. Still not happy with it! Still has a vaguely chemical taste. OTOH, it was the 2nd wine I made, so who knows how much my poor technique had to do with it.

Funny you say this. I am sipping a 27-month-old Mezza Luna red. Still not happy with it! Still has a vaguely chemical taste. OTOH, it was the 2nd wine I made, so who knows how much my poor technique had to do with it.

Same, mine has a weird chemical kind of after-taste. It smells ok, it's ok on the pallet, but the after taste is not pleasant. I was very careful in my sanitation practices, etc. Pretty sure I didn't make any mistakes. Oh well....we'll see how mine turns out after time. It's only 2 months old at the moment.

Latest posts

Back