WineXpert WE sulfite/sorbate packet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it saves cost, but in a different way. If you don't add all the packets, it is now much easier for them to say you voided your warranty, you don't get a replacement kit, even if something was wrong with the kit in the first place. Now how they prove that, is anybody's guess, but that is my thought on why they combined them.

I think you also have to keep in mind that Winexpert's primary business is the brew store franchises where they make the wine on site for you, combining the packages makes it easier for them. This is no different then the change in instructions they did about 2 years ago where they reduced the number of steps / racking done. It is all about making it easier for the franchisers.

I think you also have to keep in mind that Winexpert's primary business is the brew store franchises where they make the wine on site for you, combining the packages makes it easier for them. This is no different then the change in instructions they did about 2 years ago where they reduced the number of steps / racking done. It is all about making it easier for the franchisers.

Thanks for that perspective. I only started brewing WE kits about 2 years ago when my local brew store, Homebrew Heaven, closed down, which was my primary source for RJS kits, and had to source my kits from another retailer that primarily carries WE. I was really puzzled by the lack of a secondary fermentation step in the WE kits. Now I know that it was a change from their previous standard instruction set, and I'll plan on doing a secondary with the WE Viognier kit I just started yesterday.

Glad I found this thread. I made a few kits about 10 years ago and haven’t made any since. I recently bought a WE kit and thought the new instructions were hilarious. Day 1 ends by sprinkling the yeast on top— then nothing until Day 14.

Sooo... Just to be clear. I racked a batch of WE Amarone yesterday, SG 0.995 so ready to degas and begin bulk aging. Kit came with the combo pack of Sulfite/Sorbate. Do I only want to add the 1/4tsp. now and at all subsequent rackings? Or do I add a full tsp now?

Sooo... Just to be clear. I racked a batch of WE Amarone yesterday, SG 0.995 so ready to degas and begin bulk aging. Kit came with the combo pack of Sulfite/Sorbate. Do I only want to add the 1/4tsp. now and at all subsequent rackings? Or do I add a full tsp now?

I do a 1/4 tsp at initial racking and at 3 month intervals until it goes into the bottle.

I do a 1/4 tsp at initial racking and at 3 month intervals until it goes into the bottle.
But to be clear, 1/4 tsp of k-meta powder. Not 1/4 tsp of the sorbate/sulfite mixture that came with your kit.
Got it. Thanks,
Combo pack going in the trash. Or into a batch of SP later?

I have never used Sorbate. I just discard the packet and use 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5 gallons after fermentation stops and at each subsequent racking

Hi everyone, I just stumbled on this discussion. I currently have 2 carboys bulk aging and a third I’m just about to start. I haven’t added any fining agents and just oak and the k-meta that can with the kits. Question I have is how often do you rack and how often do you add more k-meta? I plan on keeping them in carboy at least 12 months. Also what else should I be looking for during this period?

Nice bump. I've always just added the sulfite/sorbate packet as instructed (and then added a 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite at bottling). What is the sorbate element included for? And should I not be using that packet?

Nice bump. I've always just added the sulfite/sorbate packet as instructed (and then added a 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite at bottling). What is the sorbate element included for? And should I not be using that packet?

Whether you use the packet that comes with your kit depends on whether you want sorbate added. I don’t because it tastes like bubblegum sugar to me. And since I ferment my wines to zero sugar, it’s not really necessary. I just use the Kmeta I bought separately.

As for bulk aging, my rule of thumb is rack every three months until there’s no sediment at the bottom of your carboy. I add a 1/4 tsp of Kmeta every three months whether I rack or not.

Though in the last year, I moved twice and ended up not racking my 2019 grapes off the oak for about 9 months (forgot the oak was there and just hit the wines with kmeta). Racked and dosed. Hoping that didn’t funk my wine up. Time will tell.

Whether you use the packet that comes with your kit depends on whether you want sorbate added. I don’t because it tastes like bubblegum sugar to me. And since I ferment my wines to zero sugar, it’s not really necessary. I just use the Kmeta I bought separately.

As for bulk aging, my rule of thumb is rack every three months until there’s no sediment at the bottom of your carboy. I add a 1/4 tsp of Kmeta every three months whether I rack or not.

Though in the last year, I moved twice and ended up not racking my 2019 grapes off the oak for about 9 months (forgot the oak was there and just hit the wines with kmeta). Racked and dosed. Hoping that didn’t funk my wine up. Time will tell.

Thanks - really interesting to know. I haven't detected any bubblegum sugar taste in my wine to date, but I also ferment my wine to bone dry so maybe I'll give it a go and just use potassium metabisulphite instead of the sorbate/sulfite mix packet. Hopefully it'll improve the flavours even more!

Due to lack of carboys and carboy space, I tend to bottle age - so the maximum time any wine (i only do white) will spend in the carboy is 2 months, and then as long as it's clear then I'll bottle. I've never experienced any kind of sediment in the bottle so hopefully i'm doing something right.

Thanks - really interesting to know. I haven't detected any bubblegum sugar taste in my wine to date, but I also ferment my wine to bone dry so maybe I'll give it a go and just use potassium metabisulphite instead of the sorbate/sulfite mix packet. Hopefully it'll improve the flavours even more!

Due to lack of carboys and carboy space, I tend to bottle age - so the maximum time any wine (i only do white) will spend in the carboy is 2 months, and then as long as it's clear then I'll bottle. I've never experienced any kind of sediment in the bottle so hopefully i'm doing something right.

If it tastes good to you, you’re doing fine. As long as it’s clear and degassed, you can bottle whenever you’re ready. There’s a solution to the problem of having a couple carboys... buy more carboys. I started with 2. That turned to 4, then 8..: now I think I have 12-14. Not sure.

If it tastes good to you, you’re doing fine. As long as it’s clear and degassed, you can bottle whenever you’re ready. There’s a solution to the problem of having a couple carboys... buy more carboys. I started with 2. That turned to 4, then 8..: now I think I have 12-14. Not sure.
That’s so funny, I have 6 carboys and am trying to figure out how to take advantage of the Midwestsupplies.com coupon for kits since I just bought a different kit Saturday. So off to Craigslist for another carboy... most people seem to price them higher than I can get new from Gino Pinto.1609804244856.png

That’s so funny, I have 6 carboys and am trying to figure out how to take advantage of the Midwestsupplies.com coupon for kits since I just bought a different kit Saturday. So off to Craigslist for another carboy... most people seem to price them higher than I can get new from Gino Pinto.View attachment 70085

Craigslist is my go-to (usually saves me $20/carboy from buying new), with my LHBS a close second. Those are good prices, btw. Get as many as you can use at that price.

Last edited:
My first winemaking was with a 4 week winexpert concentrate. Followed the instructions and ended up with a strange odor. Took to a brew shop and the guy sneezed a storm after smelling it. He said that's how he reacts to sulphite. Paid $5 for a test, it was so high he could get a measure. He told me to splash rack it a couple dozen times. I ended up doing it 100 times. Still smells but has gone rotten egg on me yet. He said this is a manufacturer issue.

Latest posts

Back