We started with the same grapes, that’s where it ended.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@4score, @Busabill and I collaborated on a number of wine projects this year. Some we parted ways at the juice level, which is the case in the Viognier, some we fermented together,others apart. Then all the wine went to our respective wineries. We are doing barrel tastings of most everything and it will be the first taste of the difference between the by the book techniques, like straight saccharomyces yeast and @4Scores trials with sacrificial tannins at ferment (chips listed below), as well as starting the fermentation’s with non-saccharomyces yeast. We also have different oak treatments to compare as well.

19 wines in total on Jan 6th. The sheet has all the details to the right (which you can’t see), but the summary of the differences is in the crib notes column.

06AFF54B-D52C-4976-B8AC-1F8C4691178A.jpeg

The @4score winery has graciously agreed to host the event. We decided that we needed 500ml min of each sample, so I bottled mine today. I play “Words With Friends” and looking at the letters, the word CLEAN popped out. Since I am frequently accused of being heavy handed with my wine making but have not made a dirty wine, I thought it was appropriate.
D82413B6-F351-4B35-A961-FE8F9CEBDFBB.jpeg

The event was great. A lot of comparing and contrasting. A lot of not better or worse, but different. A good example is my 100% Viognoier, it tasted like a Sauvignon Blanc to me, didn’t like it, where it was 4Score’s daughter’s favorite wine.

My overall take aways:
- The fermentation in oak chips soften the tannins
- The Prelude, non-saccaromyces yeast added a more floral nose and a smoother mouth feel.
- More oak helps the overall taste in young wines, as it covers the vegetal/sour flavors of young wines.

@Busabill pouring @4score:
C052F697-09DE-472C-9FF5-4FAD4F7FE771.jpeg

Back