WineXpert WE Riesling Ice Wine Style Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceegar

Reaction score
I want to know if anyone sees anything wrong with these instructions-

I'll skip the primary fermentation step, so assume primary fermentation has started. Starting SG was 1.165 - yeast was Premier Cuvee, 2 sachets

After 5-7 days or when SG reaches 1.080 or below, rack the wine into secondary, attach airlock and leave in fermentation area for 10 days

After 10 days SG should be 1.060 or less - if it is verify a stable SG by checking the next day to be sure it has not changed, then proceed with Step 3 Stablizing and Clearing. If not, leave it until it is stable for 2 days, then proceed with Step 3 - Stabilizing and Clearing

This is where I'm confused - I'm thinking if the SG is 1.060, there is still plenty of sugar available in the wine, how is it going to be stable for 2 days? Wouldn't you think the yeast is going to ferment the wine out dry first before becoming stable?

Or could it be, considering the starting SG was so high, that the wine will have reached the yeast's alcohol tolerance by the time the SG reaches 1.060? If that's the case then this stuff will be potent - probably too potent. I think Premier Cuvee has a tolerance of 14%-16%

I just don't see how they are expecting the SG to be stable at 1.060 or near to it with all that sugar left still.

I'm only on day 3 of primary fermentation so I have a couple of weeks to go yet before I get to this stage but was curious how I should proceed when the time comes and in case it's not done fermenting at 1.060.

Last edited:
That will make the abv around 14% and about where this yeats will fal off, and with all that sweetness the higher abv will be masked very well. I have a few ice wines and all are very good. My W.E Peach Ice wine was very tasty after a few months of bulk aging, my RJS White ice wine was disgusting for about 8 months then became awesome after that.

That will make the abv around 14% and about where this yeats will fal off, and with all that sweetness the higher abv will be masked very well. I have a few ice wines and all are very good. My W.E Peach Ice wine was very tasty after a few months of bulk aging, my RJS White ice wine was disgusting for about 8 months then became awesome after that.

Thanks Wade - I figured that would be the only way it could be stable. How did you calculate that the abv at 1.060 would be around 14%? These are some of the missing pieces for me still - thanks.

Ok, sorry, where did the 131.4 come from?

It's just the conversion factor that Wade uses. I prefer to use 133. Other people use as high as 136.

Just like kilograms x 2.2 = pounds, or miles x 1.6 = kilometres.

Steve

It's just the conversion factor that Wade uses. I prefer to use 133. Other people use as high as 136.

Just like kilograms x 2.2 = pounds, or miles x 1.6 = kilometres.

Steve

Thanks - I also saw a formula (OG - FG) / 7.36 = %abv

SG finally dropped yesterday to 1.080 after 5 days from pitching the yeast. I've racked it into a secondary carboy and did not top up as directed and now I'm waiting for SG to drop to 1.060, which should signify fermentation has completed - we'll see.

My Riesling kit is moving along nicely as planned. I racked into the secondary on the 15th and it's fermenting away nicely. Probably within 4 or 5 more days it should be finished and I will be moving on to stabilising, clearing, and adding the f-pac. I have a concern though - the directions tell you to leave the lees and do all the mixing with it in there or it may not clear properly. I have about 3/4 of an inch of lees at the bottom of the carboy and they're expecting me to stir all that up into the wine?

My Riesling kit is moving along nicely as planned. I racked into the secondary on the 15th and it's fermenting away nicely. Probably within 4 or 5 more days it should be finished and I will be moving on to stabilising, clearing, and adding the f-pac. I have a concern though - the directions tell you to leave the lees and do all the mixing with it in there or it may not clear properly. I have about 3/4 of an inch of lees at the bottom of the carboy and they're expecting me to stir all that up into the wine?

One of the joys of following the Winexpert instructions.

Steve

What do you think? I'm thinking about racking it and sucking up about half of it back into the wine, then add and mix.

Stirring the lees back into the mix improves the body of the wine.

I'd follow the instructions and stir it up..

Allie

My kit is on day 8 in secondary, still bubbling about once every 12 seconds. The SG has dropped to 1.055. Instructions say rack into secondary and wait 10 days and when SG reaches 1.060 or below to proceed to step 3 Clearing and Stabilizing.

Well the SG has dropped to those numbers, it was at 1.60 on Saturday, today it is below. Should I go ahead and proceed to step 3 or should I be waiting for no more fermentation activity even though my numbers are where they're supposed to be? I'm thinking I should be waiting but the instructions aren't real clear.

Wait till the sg is stable for a few days.

Thanks Wade, will do. I figured as much but wanted to check.

My Cab Franc Ice wine kit was supposed to be racked to secondary when the SG dropped to 1.010 or below, then 10 days later at .998 proceed to step 3. Well yesterday the SG was 1.040 and today it was down to 1.000. I don't think this one is going to last 10 days before proceeding to step 3. Plus I'm a little nervous - there's an awful lot of headroom in this carboy after racking, and almost all of it went in there.

This is the first time I've ridden out the entire primary fermentation in an open bucket. Usually I'll get it going good and strong for a couple of days then rack into the carboy. I wonder if evaporation takes place in those open buckets??

Latest posts

Back