WineXpert WE Pinot Noir - Degassing when bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer088

Reaction score
So I am wondering how important degassing is if the kit is bulk aged with an air lock for several months before bottling. I just started my 4th W.E. kit, and following the instructions, it is about time for the degassing and clearing step. On the first kit I did, I degassed using the drill/paddle method, which I could see took out a lot of gas, but 6 months later after bottling, still is a little fizzy when I open the bottle. On subsequent kits, I added the step of using a hand vacuum pump on the carboy for a day after the manual degassing. The result is better. I am just wondering, if I delayed bottling the wine for a few months after the last clearing step, would it be necessary to manually degas or would the CO2 naturally exit through the air lock? I have over a hundred bottles of wine in my cellar now, so I have time wait. Thoughts?

So I am wondering how important degassing is if the kit is bulk aged with an air lock for several months before bottling. I just started my 4th W.E. kit, and following the instructions, it is about time for the degassing and clearing step. On the first kit I did, I degassed using the drill/paddle method, which I could see took out a lot of gas, but 6 months later after bottling, still is a little fizzy when I open the bottle. On subsequent kits, I added the step of using a hand vacuum pump on the carboy for a day after the manual degassing. The result is better. I am just wondering, if I delayed bottling the wine for a few months after the last clearing step, would it be necessary to manually degas or would the CO2 naturally exit through the air lock? I have over a hundred bottles of wine in my cellar now, so I have time wait. Thoughts?

@kartracer088, I find that six months of bulk aging is often enough to degass, clear without chemicals, and minimize sediment in bottles. I always taste the wine for gas before I bottle anything, so I can always age it more.

heatherd, I see you have made a lot of kits. So if you omit the clearing chemicals, I assume you still add the metabisulfite to keep anything unwanted for growing.

How many times would you rack in that 6 months?

heatherd, I see you have made a lot of kits. So if you omit the clearing chemicals, I assume you still add the metabisulfite to keep anything unwanted for growing.

How many times would you rack in that 6 months?

@kartracer088 I rack at the beginning of bulk aging, then dose with kmeta on the three-month point and the six-month point. I taste the wine before bottling to be sure it doesn't have gas, and then I rack when bottling.

Yes, you definitely still need the metabisulfite. I use 1/4 teaspoon for my six gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back