WineXpert WE New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgwyn

Junior
Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of second fermentation. I tested it yesterday and the SG was at .994. I expect that today I will have a similar reading and per the instructions, shoudl be able to add the clarifiers and metabisulfate. However, when I was taking the first reading yesterday, I noticed that it appeared to still be fermenting. Do I wait until visible fermentation stops or go by the instructions and SG readings?

"appeared to still be fermenting"? Do you mean that there were CO2 bubbles being released? Unfortunately, that is not a sign that fermentation is continuing. It is a sign that the wine contains CO2 and needs degassing.

However, I wouldn't think about doing anything with a WE kit unless the sg is .992 or has been .994 for at least a week.

Patience is a winemaker's best friend. Letting the wine finish slowly is a good move.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks, Steve. Having read your tag line before, I should have guessed that the visual signs of fermenting really were just CO2. In truth, this is my first white wine kit, so I'm seeing some things behave differently than my previous red batches. It probably was just CO2 bubbles, but I'll let it sit for a few more days and see what it does. Thanks for the quick response and support.

Latest posts

Back