WE Limited Edition Pecorino Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a triple batch of this wine going and it is looking and tasting like a winner. Only issue is that I am about two weeks into the cycle and I have already lost about a gallon and a half to sediment. It appears I will end up with about 16 gallons. WE has one add the kieselsol one day and the chitosan the next day. Seems to work very well. Another issue I have with the latest WE kits is their combining Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate in one pouch. I pitch that pouch and add my own K-meta. I don't add K-sorbate.

100_1411.JPG

Yes I have this one in the secondary,it has set and cleared without agents.
My plan was always ,out of the primary let it sit for a couple of weeks then reracked in to a clean vessel.
Fate got in the way and it sit for, 4 weeks and cleared itself.
Looking forward to seeing how this one taste ,have you taken a sip of yours Rocky?

Last edited:
Yes I have this one in the secondary,it has set and cleared without agents.
My plan was always ,out of the primary let it sit for a couple of weeks then reracked in to a clean to ==.
Faye got in the way and it just sit 4 weeks later cleared.
Looking forward to seeing how this one taste ,have you taken asip of yours Rocky?

Hi Joe, no I have not tried it yet other than just a sip to be sure it had no problems. It is still too young to make any determination but it is promising. This is the first Pinot Grigio I have made in a couple of years. I last made one from California juice and something went horribly wrong. The wine tastes more like a sherry. I use if for cooking and to make white sangria.

hope it's a little better than a pino grigio, for the price. I was pulled in by the Pecorino part of the title.

I have a triple batch of this wine going and it is looking and tasting like a winner.

View attachment 58664

Glad to hear that it's looking good. I'm still trying to figure out which wine I can bottle so that I free up a carboy. What yeast did you use? I ended up picking up BA11 based on the MoreWine recommendations for Pinot Grigio

just did the final phase of this kit ,I used a what came with it, to keep the fruitiness of the wine and a touch of lemon zest.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 32
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 32
Glad to hear that it's looking good. I'm still trying to figure out which wine I can bottle so that I free up a carboy. What yeast did you use? I ended up picking up BA11 based on the MoreWine recommendations for Pinot Grigio

Tatmia, I used what came with the kit and did not give it any further consideration. The yeast was Lalvin 71B. In reading the technical sheet posted on line, I might have chosen otherwise had I done so.

The sheet reads:

"Lalvin 71B
Lalvin 71B is a wine yeast for nouveau-style wines. It was isolated by Pr. Maugenet’s team at the INRA (National Agricultural Research Institute) in Narbonne, France. Lalvin 71B is known for making blush and semi-sweet wines and owes its success to its abilities to produce amyl ester (isoamyl acetate), reinforcing the aromatic profile of wines. Lalvin 71B also softens high acid musts by partially metabolizing malic acid (20%-30%)."

Tatmia, I used what came with the kit and did not give it any further consideration. The yeast was Lalvin 71B. In reading the technical sheet posted on line, I might have chosen otherwise had I done so.

The sheet reads:

"Lalvin 71B
Lalvin 71B is a wine yeast for nouveau-style wines. It was isolated by Pr. Maugenet’s team at the INRA (National Agricultural Research Institute) in Narbonne, France. Lalvin 71B is known for making blush and semi-sweet wines and owes its success to its abilities to produce amyl ester (isoamyl acetate), reinforcing the aromatic profile of wines. Lalvin 71B also softens high acid musts by partially metabolizing malic acid (20%-30%)."
I haven’t even opened the kit yet, I just assumed it would be the usual 1118 yeast.

here's' were we are .....finished 21 bottles of yield and very tasty this one's and early drinker for sure. taste like a first class pino grigio.

Attachments

• pecorino 011.jpg
    pecorino 011.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 36
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 35
  • pecorino 005.jpg
    pecorino 005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 36
  • pecorino 008.jpg
    pecorino 008.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 33
here's' were we are .....finished 21 bottles of yield and very tasty this one's and early drinker for sure. taste like a first class pino grigio.

Joeswine, was there a lot of loss to sediment and racking? I'm gearing up to make this kit and curious how many empty bottles I should have at the ready.

That's correct,21nottles, and the finished product is spot on.
Prepare for 25 bottles.
Sometimes the higher the juice concentrate the more boil off you get , whites usually get 25 bottles so less isn't a problem for me as long as the outcome is Top shelf.

Top shelf? Hmm, can't argue with that. but I was surprised as 21 bottles is less than 16 liter. Did you start with 23 liter?

I've notice that this was the difference in the expensive kits . the Reds 25 bottles or so the Whites a little less.
Usually with all the higher end kits I let the SG, dictate the volume level of delusions,actually on every kit I process that is my rule ( let the base and SG. be my guide.)

the ABV. is 12.5% and crisp and it's new and refreshing I'll win a metal with this one in march wait and see.

Attachments

• 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 17
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15
  • pecorino 005.jpg
    pecorino 005.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 18
  • pecorino 008.jpg
    pecorino 008.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 18
  • pecorino 011.jpg
    pecorino 011.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 19
  • stuff 001.jpg
    stuff 001.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 19
Joe, you add a lot to kits and I want to thank you for sharing.
I have noticed you don’t usually change the yeast and a lot of winemakers do.
Would you please share your thoughts on changing or not changing yeast.

J .. usually I stat 10% do to the style of kit and if and what enhancements are used.
Even if it comes with its own fpac I try to start there..,it gives you a better balance with kit wines.
Just my thoughts 🤔

GaDawg , ec111is a work horse , how ever because I do my own infusion's it's also my partner.
I down at times change the yeast type and or use 2 different yeast in the same kit process.
Ev1118is the driver ,and the second yeast , handles the tasting notes.

Personal tasting opinion, I didn't like this kit much. I found the Pecorino too forward, however I'm a big fan of Pinot Grigio. It tastes almost a bit cheesy.

Latest posts

Back