WineXpert WE kit Pinot Noir... no laughing!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I don't know what its like down under but here a glass carboy only has a opening of about 1 1/2 inches. Be pretty hard to squeeze a bottle thru that LOL !. I still would wait till you get a glass carboy. I am thinking you meant you have a fermentating bucket and topping that.

food safe glass marbles would be easier to use to displace the wine and remove headspace.

i've seen some wine making FAQ's suggest this. and they fit in a carboy better than a mason jar :)

What kind of secondary are you using that you can get a mason jar in there?

I had to rack it into my spare 23litre brewbucket Wade ..thing is.. those things are a primary with headspace .. so you could really say they were more capable of holding 26 maybe 28 litres all up?.. it's not too wide mouthed at the top .. opening is about 20 cm.. big enough to get a mason jar through anyway ..

heheheh.. I have a vision of you all thinking I'm insane... trying to get a mason jar into a carboy!

Allie

OK, that makes sense then, when someone says secondary a carboy comes into our minds!

Is your EBAY carboy glass like what us "top siders" have? :h

managed to get half of it bottled so far..

I hope it improves in the bottle.. it's a bit thin on body still..

Allie

If you have not bottled yet add 3-5 oz of glycerine

Will ask the bloke to grab some from the brewshop on the way home.. cheers Tom

oh I was surfing around this morning and found an interesting commentary on bananas..

'Bananas are one fruit able to impart body to a wine, and they are frequently used as a substitute or addition to grape juice. Their own flavor, however, is rather pronounced. This can be reduced by discarding the skins, chopping the fruit into water and boiling for about fifteen minutes, during which time the pungent chemicals responsible for the strong banana flavor are driven off. The body which the resulting liquor provides in a finished wine is due to the presence of unfermentable compounds in solution - chiefly glycerol-like molecules, which give a viscous appearance.'

link to site here

http://www.home-winemaking.com/winemaking-2.html

interesting that is breaks down into something similar to glycerine..

Allie

I bottled the remainder without adding the glycerine Tom.

It's supposed to be a pinot noir .. not huge on body anyway and my bloke will drink it happily if it is light bodied..won't aggravate his stomach. I prefer a bit more tannin myself.

Allie

This has improved hugely since it was bottled..

am going to make this low end kit again..

Allie

Latest posts

Back