WE Island Mist Tweaks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had to exchange a Christmas present had replaced it with 3 Island Mist kits. From what I read they are more like wine coolers which aren't my favorites I've been reading about tweaking them, using less water, adding fruit, sugar, etc. What I'm getting is Cranberry Malbec, Pomegranate Zin and Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris. I want to add fresh Pomegranate and Cranberries to the first 2 but don't know how much and if I make only 5 gallons does this make a difference? Also I see some using grape juice concentrate. I'm making this primarily for my wife as she doesn't like dry reds which is all I have. Could you please let me know what has worked for you.

Had to exchange a Christmas present had replaced it with 3 Island Mist kits. From what I read they are more like wine coolers which aren't my favorites I've been reading about tweaking them, using less water, adding fruit, sugar, etc. What I'm getting is Cranberry Malbec, Pomegranate Zin and Coconut Yuzu Pinot Gris. I want to add fresh Pomegranate and Cranberries to the first 2 but don't know how much and if I make only 5 gallons does this make a difference? Also I see some using grape juice concentrate. I'm making this primarily for my wife as she doesn't like dry reds which is all I have. Could you please let me know what has worked for you.

I've made a couple of these for the girls in my house. Untweaked, they're pretty low in alcohol and too sweet for me. So, I do the tweakery suggested by many: in the primary, add half the fpac, a pound of sugar and a liter of concentrate. Ferment to dry (about 11%) and add the rest of the Fpac to taste. It winds up off dry instead of sweet. It has more body and flavor.

I would be leery of pomegranate - worry that the bitter tannin in the seeds would be too much. Cranberry would be good, I think. Check out Joe's threads on how to make an fpac for more direction.

I've done a few as well and have found that the tweaks @jgmann67 described worked well. I target something in the 11-12%ABV range.

To avoid the bitterness in the pomegranate, maybe just try straight Pom juice.

Boost the Abv in the primary to at least 12%add the fpac as directed thats the way to go with this style kit.

Last edited:
Boost the Abv in the primary to at least 12%add the fpac as directed by the way to go with this style kit.

I’ll boost and add body with some concentrate. I usually put half of the fpac in during the primary fermentation and the rest in during clearing. I don't want it too sweet. Maybe a 1/3 in primary and 2/3 in the finish.

Last edited:
I'm making the pomegranate zin now. Added 2 cups of sugar to get the SG to 1.060.

That's all. It's a refreshing chick drink, not mine. I make it for all my neighbor ladies. I even let them pick a flavor every winter. Its kinda like community service for Sand Hills Preserve.

The idea of boosting the ABV is so you could add all the flavor in the end,.and still have a chick wine.

The raspberry dragonfruit Shiraz is in clearing. Now. It fermented to 0.990 and with the remains of the fpac, I bumped it back up to 1.004 territory.

ABV is around 11.5%. Nice, sweet nose and pleasant palate already. Two weeks and we'll rack it off the fine lees; dose, and let it sit for a few months before bottling.

Last edited:
The raspberry dragonfruit Shiraz is in clearing. Now. It fermented to 0.990 and with the remains of the fpac, I bumped it back up to 1.04 territory.

ABV is around 11.5%. Nice, sweet nose and pleasant palate already. Two weeks and we'll rack it off the fine lees; dose, and let it sit for a few months before bottling.

Are these kits really this quick to bottle? I did mine a few weeks before you.

I do them kinda like @joeswine suggests. Two cans of frozen white grape juice concentrate plus whatever amount of sugar to boost the Starting SG. So far in the 5-6 mist type wines I've done I've used all the fpac or whatever its called as per kit instructions. All the wines so far have been well received by wife and most family and friends.

Yep, they are not really designed to age.

I have made a couple batches without tweaks that I use for sangria in the summer. Made the lemon sauvignon blanc and the orange sangria one for sangria, and I usually add brandy to them along with fruit. I still have some untweaked 2012 cranberry Malbec hanging around that I may make as a mulled wine next winter.

Yep, they are not really designed to age.

I have made a couple batches without tweaks that I use for sangria in the summer. Made the lemon sauvignon blanc and the orange sangria one for sangria, and I usually add brandy to them along with fruit. I still have some untweaked 2012 cranberry Malbec hanging around that I may make as a mulled wine next winter.

I added fruit prior to fermentation, only used about 3/4 the pac and boosted the SG to around 1.090. They all finished below .995. I stopped using the clearing agents. So I may have to filter if I choose to bottlle in a few months.

Yep, they sure are. I usually go longer than the directions state, just to get all the solids out. I don't filter much anymore, but am often inclined to with these due to my shorter aging times.

Yep, they sure are. I usually go longer than the directions state, just to get all the solids out. I don't filter much anymore, but am often inclined to with these due to my shorter aging times.

Well, I guess it's time to start looking for clear bottles. I have 15+ gallons ready soon.

Well, I guess it's time to start looking for clear bottles. I have 15+ gallons ready soon.

Check out MoreWine and Shore Container

(BTW: with Shore, it is cheaper to place two orders of three cases each, then to just order 6 cases - 3 seems to be their sweet spot with shipping)

Edit: What am I saying? You should call your local winery contacts. They probably have bottles to sell you or would allow you to piggy back on their order.

Latest posts

Back