WE Diablo Rojo..smells VERY odd

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Kneeland

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying my best to let some good stuff age, so I launched a Diablo Rojo kit. Day 5 and it is fermenting gangbusters, but what a different smell! Would anyone care to compare the finished flavour to a commercial wine? Or grape? Not sure that I am looking forward to it. Making it mostly per directions but will leave the sweetener until last minute so I can taste as I add. Not a fan of sweet wines.

Thanks bigly

Well, no sulfur, no vinegar. Just not "grapey". Kinda like candy. Like it has nothing to do with real grapes at all. This AM the rising alcohol is changing things a bit. I have read reviews of this wine describing it as "different". Smells REALLY different. But time will tell. Just wondering if fans of this wine would compare it to a commercial wine.

I will say that the fermentation is vigorous.

Well, no sulfur, no vinegar. Just not "grapey". Kinda like candy. Like it has nothing to do with real grapes at all. This AM the rising alcohol is changing things a bit. I have read reviews of this wine describing it as "different". Smells REALLY different. But time will tell. Just wondering if fans of this wine would compare it to a commercial wine.

I will say that the fermentation is vigorous.
Well, thanks, forewarned in forearmed. I just bought this kit as I am intrigued by the profile. It seems similar to another Chilean Kit Rio Grande Rojo. which I really enjoyed. Apparently the Diablo is derived from a Merlot variation. I think perhaps these might be be similar also to Spanish Tempranillo.

I saw other posts on this forum about a different and unique smell. I shall look forward to experiencing that. At least I know not to worry about it. I usually enjoy the aromas from vigorous fermentations.

Made Diablo last year and experienced the odd smell and even odder taste,I’m ageing it as well and have 25 bottles in storage mostly because I can’t bring myself to chuck them , drank two bottles of awful wine.

Made Diablo last year and experienced the odd smell and even odder taste,I’m ageing it as well and have 25 bottles in storage mostly because I can’t bring myself to chuck them , drank two bottles of awful wine.
Interesting - there are mixed reviews. I guess I will find out, One description says like an off-dry Merlot. I guess i will find out will do it in Jan. and I will pass a few bottles around later on to get some feedback from my circle.
I will add some blueberries in the primary (600gm) as per Joeswine's general advice,, maybe even 600 gm more black cherries in the Secondary. I would choose those fruits based on the profile.
If it is odd for some people maybe fruit-ifying the taste will make it more standard.

I'm in day 4-5 from pitching Diabo Rojo Winexpert.
So investigating the "smell" - took the lid off, the smell not penetrating the room, but it's winter, I got the primary covered in towels and my nose may be off.
It is very noisy - it is in full ferment. There is no strong pleasant aroma like in other Red ferments I've had.
Put my nose in it - got a shot of nitrogen?, ouch!... had to back off.
So tried again later several times have to put my head in the pail and leave it there for a while.
Yes, I can smell something different, it is different can't quite get it, somewhat pungent.
OK So a slightly different smell not spectacular. Something is there , I'm sort of neutral to it. Could be expected a disappointment as it is not a beautiful aroma. Yeah maybe somehow it is missing the "grapey"
I got medium oak in primary as well as 600 gm of Red Raspberries.
I'll keep on smelling, I'll get to the bottom of this. 😄
If I have to smell and drink every last bottle, I'll make a detailed investigation of this mystery. :ib:ib😄
diablo rojo.jpg

I've done rwo Diablo's. Mainly because the ladies say it's just like factory "Apothic" and they really liked it. Super sweet and fruit forward with a med+ body.
Don't know about the odd smell, but both have smelled very strong but fruity in the primary when I put them down.

You sure you're not just getting the alcohol smell.
I think the smell is slightly different. I don't find it too odd nor would I have normally paid much attention to it.
I think perhaps the main difference is that is not aromatic and is fruity and something a little different maybe more than just alcohol but really nothing to get excited about.
The wine is very good tasting and popular by most reports. I selected it because it has a profile similar to Spanish Tempranillo and Rio Grande Rojo , both of which I like.

I have made it several times and it's always a big hit especially for those who like their reds off dry. It also has a more pronounced berry flavor.

I have made it several times and it's always a big hit especially for those who like their reds off dry. It also has a more pronounced berry flavor.
Did you do anything extra to it or did you make it as is? I am starting this next week and it’s my first time. Super nervous 😬 Any tips or advice?

the candy nose can come from not enough delusion and hi sugar content.
Just a thought also not being stired throughly leave different levels of stratus in the wine..
could be.

Taste is subjective to be sure. Many months later it is still not for me. It may be the first wine that goes down the drain. I don't think I made any errors in the process and followed directions, mostly.

I even WAY prefer the Argentia Costco kits.

Transitioning to grapes anyway, just that this one was very different.

Taste is subjective to be sure. Many months later it is still not for me. It may be the first wine that goes down the drain. I don't think I made any errors in the process and followed directions, mostly.

If you're not short of bottles, just put them away for a year, then test again. It's a sin to throw away wine!

I bottled it last March and did not like it until the 13th month of aging. It definitely more enjoyable! I didn’t do anything different from the instructions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back