WineXpert WE Brunello with Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
I started this kit last Sunday (2/14) with an OG of 1.082. The instructions said to wait 7 days and then check, and transfer if the SG was below 1.010. On Thursday (day 4) I checked and it was 1.011 so I figured I'd rack it into the carboy last night (the 5th day), but didn't get around to it. So, this morning it was already down to 0.998. I usually try to rack it over before it drops below 1.000 to make sure there's still some CO2 being generated, but with the instructions saying 7 days, I didn't rush. This morning I used my All-in-one vacuum pump to splash rack it over to the carboy, and now I'm concerned about it… there is absolutely NO activity in the airlock at all. In fact, the two water legs are almost even. There is at least 750 ml of headspace left, which I wouldn't worry about if it were still fermenting, but I'm worried that it will sit there and ruin before I ever even get to the stabilization and clearing step.

Have any of you ever had this kind of experience with a WE kit? I wish I'd gone with my instincts and gotten it over to the carboy Thursday night.

Thanks!!

You're fine. ALL my WE Eclipse kits hit .996 or less after about 5 days. I try to target 5 days for racking to secondary. A Lodi Cab I just racked today on day 6 is at .994. There is still plenty of CO2 in the wine even if it isn't visibly fermenting. If you want to shake the carboy a little it will release some CO2 to fill in the headspace.

Your experience is normal, it won't hurt the wine.

Thanks, Ted! I was wondering if I should run to the store to get an inexpensive Sangiovese (if that's possible) to top up with, but I'll leave it alone if there's enough CO2 to protect it. I just bumped the carboy to slosh the wine a little and the level in the airlock did change, but it's equalizing again. (If I didn't know better, I'd almost think the airlock was leaking.)

Having said that about the airlock leaking, I went ahead and swapped out my bung and airlock, and now the water legs are offset, and I have a nice, slow, gentle bubble every minute or so. Whew!
What got me was that after I shook it and the legs got offset, they equalized again without every bubbling. That just didn't look right.
Thanks again!

I think you'll be fine. Had that happen with a few kits, only to have them start back up a few days later. That's why I sometimes just leave it in the primary (with airlock) until the gurgling really slows down and the gravity appears to be terminal.

Be curious to see how your kit turns out. Just got mine last week but waiting for my primary to open up so I can start it. Did you use the two packages of yeast that came with the kit or did you go off the board for another yeast? I'm considering substituting and using RC 212.

I think you'll be fine. Had that happen with a few kits, only to have them start back up a few days later. That's why I sometimes just leave it in the primary (with airlock) until the gurgling really slows down and the gravity appears to be terminal.

Be curious to see how your kit turns out. Just got mine last week but waiting for my primary to open up so I can start it. Did you use the two packages of yeast that came with the kit or did you go off the board for another yeast? I'm considering substituting and using RC 212.

I used both packets of yeast that came with it. Since I've never made this kit before I figured I'd do it the standard way instead of swapping yeasts.
However, I'm wondering if I should put all the oak in that came with it. I did an experiment this fall with an inexpensive kit where I split it in half after stabilization and put an oak spiral in one and not the other. I wanted to do a side by side test to see if I could discern the oak flavor - boy, could I. After one week with the spiral the oaked version tasted like sucking on a popsicle stick. Turns out maybe I'm not a fan of heavy oak. :h

I'm glad it's working out. You'll probably get a little more fermentation and down to .992 or .994. Have fun.

I used both packets of yeast that came with it. Since I've never made this kit before I figured I'd do it the standard way instead of swapping yeasts.
However, I'm wondering if I should put all the oak in that came with it. I did an experiment this fall with an inexpensive kit where I split it in half after stabilization and put an oak spiral in one and not the other. I wanted to do a side by side test to see if I could discern the oak flavor - boy, could I. After one week with the spiral the oaked version tasted like sucking on a popsicle stick. Turns out maybe I'm not a fan of heavy oak. :h

I've noticed that as it ages the oak "popsicle stick" flavor really dies back and integrates into the whole flavor profile and doesn't dominate it as much as in the beginning. Hopefully you can keep a couple of bottles from that batch that you split and taste them side by side after it ages for a good amount of time.

Only thing other than maybe a yeast swap I'm planning on doing is to put the two bags of cubes in after I clarify and rack it so the cubes can spend a little more time in contact with the wine before removing them. If you follow the directions to the "T" it only calls for about 8 days of contact with the cubes.

I've noticed that as it ages the oak "popsicle stick" flavor really dies back and integrates into the whole flavor profile and doesn't dominate it as much as in the beginning. Hopefully you can keep a couple of bottles from that batch that you split and taste them side by side after it ages for a good amount of time.

Only thing other than maybe a yeast swap I'm planning on doing is to put the two bags of cubes in after I clarify and rack it so the cubes can spend a little more time in contact with the wine before removing them. If you follow the directions to the "T" it only calls for about 8 days of contact with the cubes.

That is a good tweak, putting the oak in for bulk aging so it has more time to do its work. I couple that with putting oak powder into the primary for additional oak contact during fermentation.

Even doing both, I can open a bottle after a year plus and not taste substantial amounts of oak.

That is a good tweak, putting the oak in for bulk aging so it has more time to do its work. I couple that with putting oak powder into the primary for additional oak contact during fermentation.

Even doing both, I can open a bottle after a year plus and not taste substantial amounts of oak.

It's nice to hear that the oak may soften with age. I'll probably go ahead and put all the oak in this kit as instructed and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back