WineXpert WE Blanc de Noir off taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traveler94

Reaction score
I am not used to making wine with F-packs because I do not like sweet wine. I did not know this wine came with an F-pack and was surprised to find one. I did not want a sweet wine so after reading many threads here I dumped the F-pack into the primary. I often take a finger taste of the juice when I start a kit to assure myself that the juice is good and I am off to a good start. AFTER I dumped the F-pack into the primary I tasted it, and did not like the taste of the, juice, syrup, concoction. It did not taste like concentrated juice that I am used to, but more like a chemical sweetener and I was sorry I used it. I was in my basement today doing wine making stuff and I decided to taste this, only six weeks old. I could swear I can taste the "off taste" of the F-pact. Is it me or has anyone else experienced this?

In the interest of science...I thiefed two samples of my Blanc de Noir. Mine is a little younger than yours, only 4 weeks old (started on 4/2). Now, to explain my two samples..when I racked to clarify and add the f-pack, I put the whole f-pack in my 5 gallon carboy and the excess wine went into a half gallon jug. So I have a fully sweetened sample and a totally unsweetened sample.

Honestly, the two are extremely similar with only slight differences. As expected, the unsweetened sample tastes a bit sharper. The sweetened is smoother and easier to sip from the f-pack. It's not very sweet, either. I didn't take a hydrometer reading but it's gotta be pretty low, maybe only around 1.00. And now to answer your question, I really don't taste a chemical taste in either of them and certainly not in the sweetened one only. They're really young so that's probably all it is. I would guess give it a solid 6-12 months aging and you'll think it's awesome.

Assuming you added potassium sorbate as well. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is sorbate in the f-pack itself. To me, it gives a 'fake' sweet taste - almost bubble gum flavor. That could be what you're tasting, and it does fade over time. Have you added potassium sorbate to any of your other wines?

I used sorbate once in a port wine kit, but other then that I have never used sorbate and I have made many kits and wine from fresh juice over the years. You described the taste exactly, a fake sweet taste, thanks.

Sounds like its sorbate then. Just give it some time.

I have this kit on deck - also not a big sweet wine drinker. I tend to put half the f-pack in primary on a lot of them.

FYI - This wine finished fermentation at 0.992 for me.

Then after adding whole f-pack to back sweeten it ended up with 0.999~1.000
It is basically a hair shy of 1.000 but not quite there...

Thanks Varis. I may hold off on adding any in primary then and just go incrementally after clearing. How is the wine?

Thanks Varis. I may hold off on adding any in primary then and just go incrementally after clearing. How is the wine?

When racking, I had a sip and wasn't impressed and I think the sorbate 'flavor' may be playing a role here, so let's see when it fades down the road. Wine is still 'green' but I can definitely say that the sorbate is adding some off-flavor right now.
I have a 5gal carboy plus 1 bottle in .750ml.
I will check again by summer and then bottle as needed.

One thing I can say, and maybe this is only me, that the sorbate flavor seems to be more predominant in WE kits than CC or RJS.....but again this is just me....

All in all, I think this will be a good wine once aged.

If there is sorbate in the f-pack this has to have some detrimental effect on fermentation when the f-pack is added to the primary as many people here do. I was looking forward to this wine and hope it turns out good. If that off taste doesn't dissipate, I will never use an f-pack again. I didn't know this kit came with an f-pack and still don't understand why it did.

Thanks for the comments.

If there is sorbate in the f-pack this has to have some detrimental effect on fermentation when the f-pack is added to the primary as many people here do.

That's why I'm not certain there's sorbate in there. I'll have to give it a taste when I get around to mine to see if I pick up on that bubble gum flavor.

My blanc de noir kit is on day 7 of the primary, i just followed kit instructions and used spring water. Starting sg was 1.100 and is now at 0.992 and still going. I plan on using the fpack in this kit because i do not have many off-dry wines in stock.

Reracked the blanc de noir last night, had very little lees to rack off and is crystal clear now. Had a small taste before sulfating, interesting flavours, still very young though.

Thos finished at .990 and was .996 after f-pack was added.

OK, so it has been a little while. Any more comments on this kit? How is it tasting? Is the F-pack really the culprit? Has anyone made it without the F-pack? I was really thinking of a dry wine with this kit, but never had a Blanc de Noir. Is it supposed to be dry, off-dry, or what?

Interested.

Greg

I'm viewing the blanc de noir as a champagne. I prefer a dry champagne so I ignored the fpack for now.

Also considering kegging it and force carbing it.

We just did a wine tasting in the cellar today, our blanc de noir was made as per instructions and fpack added after fermentation and its starting to taste great. Had 4 people taste it and they all said it was really good. Cant tatse any off tastes.

I'm viewing the blanc de noir as a champagne. I prefer a dry champagne so I ignored the fpack for now.

Also considering kegging it and force carbing it.

Champagne not usually completely dry. I think most people would be surprised that 'Brut' and 'Extra Dry' champagne still contain some residual sugar. You would probably be better off fermenting with the F-pack added if you want a dry wine.

If you really want a 'Champagne' flavor, you will need a second fermentation in the bottle and an extended period of bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back