WE Barossa Shiraz and Lodi Zinfandel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So, I racked and dosed both today. (started Shiraz, March 2016, Lodi Zin June 2016) With plans of bottling probably this weekend.

I love big jammy wines like Zin and Shiraz, but I have to say. The Shiraz was tasting more Merlot than jammy Shiraz. It just doesn't appear to be meeting my expectations after almost a year in the making.

That said, the Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel is full Woohoo! I'm really liking that wine!

The Shiraz was my first winemaking experience and I made it because I absolutely love a good Australian Shiraz. This is very disappointing if it ends up like this. I'm hoping the next 8-9 months it will change quite a bit. (I intend to age it (actually both) until around December 2017 in the bottle at 50F at a facility.

Has anyone else made the WE Barossa Valley Shiraz?

I've made it twice, my newest batch is about 15 months old. I really enjoy them. I wouldn't describe them as jammy and don't think I've met a jammy Shiraz, but I'm no expert on them. But mine are spicy and sassy which is what I look for. My new one was the first red in a brand new Vadai and two weeks there, in addition to the kit oak, gave it a wonderful oakiness. Hopefully yours will come around to your liking.

I've got an Old Vine Zin in the barrel now so hopefully mine will be as good as yours down the road.

Last edited:
I've made it twice, my newest batch is about 15 months old. I really enjoy them. I wouldn't describe them as jammy and don't think I've met a jammy Shiraz, but I'm no expert on them. But mine are spicy and sassy which is what I look for. My new one was the first red in a brand new Vadai and two weeks there, in addition to the kit oak, gave it a wonderful oakiness. Hopefully yours will come around to your liking.

I've got an Old Vine Zin in the barrel now so hopefully mine will be as good as yours down the road.

Pick up a Shiraz from Barossa Valley like say, Schild Estates or a Two Hands offering. They are similar to a good fat jammy Zinfandel, but if you say Zinfandel is more of a red type fruit flavor, I would say the Shiraz is more of a blue fruit type flavor. I love both of them.

Latest posts

Back