Watermelons

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
Planted some watermelons in the front yard where there was no grass. This really pisses off the lawn of the month club folks lol. They are the small Sugar Babys, and hopefully will make good wine this fall. Any sugestions on the best yeast to use?
20080708_103851_watermelon.jpg

Have never made watermelon wine and have heard that its the hardest fruit fpr reasons of the fruit going bad quick. I think I read that on jack Keller's website.

Your right Wade, very hard to make.

I have started several batches and have thrown all them out, very soon after starting. The last batch I did, I left the melon in the fridge, in the coldest section till it was ice cold. I very quickly (15 minutes or less) cut up the melon and juiced it in a straining bag to get as much juice as possible, Added all the cast of nutrients etc... and pitched the yeast (1 gallon batch) and put it back in the fridge, in a warmer spot in the fridge. It did well for about 3 days, then went bad in the fridge!....... I can't really say if the yeast ever took off or not. It was foaming a but on top, but probably never took off fully. I wonder if you fed the fermenter with CO2 of that would help keep away the oxygen from the must?

Did you use ascorbic acid. I have never tried to make watermelon but have heard quite a few stories of failure.

I have a batch of this(1 gallon) working right now. Jack Keller's site has a recipe, but I altered it somewhat .I haven't had it go bad yet. but it is still young.

Latest posts

Back