Watermelon Wine...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
I started my watermelon wine 8 days age in the primary. I'm using Red Star Champagne yeast (1/2 pk in each gallon). I strained into secondary, and I'm not getting much visual fermentation. I should've got an SG earlier but didn't. Has anyone had watermelon finish up this quickly?

Temp has stayed 76-82. I din't have a hydrometer til today and didn't check, will check in the morning. I know where it should be at if it's about done fermenting, but is it normal for watermelon to go that fast? My strawberry took a couple more weeks in secondary... Just curious.

as soon as the sg doesnt change for 3 days it is done. visibale signs of fermentation does not mean it is finished. Remember the 3 P's. Nothing seems to come out the same. Sometiomes batches split will finish at differnt rate

So 3 days is the general rule? I guess that's what I was really asking. I know visiblity doesn't amount to anything. It's foaming alittle now, guess it needed to rest after being moved. I still want to take an sg on it but don't know if I should wait now that its bubbling or let it be for a few more days...

You will need a good year for the water melon to age to a good smell. Keep an eye on it in the beginning as it can turn back quick. If it's thru fermenting get it under airlock and add sulfite and clear it with bentonite or sparkolloid if you like.

I got it almost there now steve (needs to clear), I was wondering when to drink...er bottle it.

Dont' drink it for at least a year, anytime earlier than that and you will not have much in the way of watermelon flavor. Is this the same wne that you posted about on another thread?

Yep, I've got 2 gallons goin, started from same batch and divided in to 2- 1 gal. carboys.

Is it hazy or cloudy?
Sounds like (assuming here) that it might be hazy and you might could get it to clear up with some pectic enzyme.

If its cloudy, you could try the egg white trick. I know about this method but have never tried it.

I treated one of the gallons with pectic but it didn't help. Might have to do the egg whites.

Update on this one: Hubby couldn't stay out of it. LOL! But it did clear beautifully. It didn't make it into bottles before he started "sampling" the carboys. At one point he tipped the whole 1 gal and drank out of it. The only thing that kept me from killing him was offering him some "Welches" (actually juicy juice) wine and thinking about John T's comments. One gallon was great (note "was" though I only had a 1/2 glass!)... the other hubby had helped to rack last and he put the bung touching the wine, so it tasted like rubber! Yum, watermelon goodyear wine! o_O So it got sent to wine heaven...

Latest posts

Back