Watermelon wine ingredient list

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosty452

Reaction score
So I'm working on a watermelon wine recipe and this is what I have so far looking for input as the recipe is slightly modified from 2 recipes

Watermelon wine recipe

6-10 large, ripe watermelon

5 cups hibiscus

3 lbs golden raisins
~18 lbs granulated white sugar (3lbs per gallon)
6 tsp acid blend
6 tsp yeast nutrient
1 packet Red Star “Champagne” brewing/wine yeast

Should I go slurry route with this or campden tabs in bucket for 12 hrs all help appreciated

I've decided to just squeeze juice out and do the campden tabs. However is that look like a reasonable amount of hibiscus or is it too much. Recipie I am using came from a 1 gallon batch and I am taking it up to a 6 gallon batch and not adding water like the recipie these were in. Looking for imput planning on starting this on Saturday

I can't comment on your recipe, having never made watermelon wine. I have heard many people ask questions about it, but nobody ever came back to say it was great and wonderful.

I've only ever tasted one watermelon wine,very light in flavor and not something I would recommend making. I have heard the juice spills very easily, so ferment fast, but also ferment at low temps. I wouldn't add the acid blend without testing to try to determine how much is required for your juice.

What PH should I aim for then? I ran a test batch of hibiscus tea to get a feel for the potency and I am going to cut the amount down a lot maybe 1 1/2 - 2 cups. Jucing will begin on Saturday if anyone has any additional imput it would be greatly appreciated

I think @cmason1957 meant that it spoils easily. In fact, it is notorious for spoiling even in the middle of the fermentation. Before you start, I would read Keller's advice about a good starter for watermelon wine. You should aim for a pH which will minimally stress the yeast.

I actually already read his article. He just says 2 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons not sure what the pH should be for the best yeast viability. Guess more reading for me

Yes I did mean SPOILS easily, dang fingers sometimes don't type what I mean for them to type. and I don't think I can blame that one of autocorrect. I don't know the Ph you should shoot for either, but I know more often than not recipes have more or less acid than you need for your juice. and no way to tell which it is, unless you measure.

So looking around I've found anywhere between 3.9-3.4 should be ideal. Would waiting til fermentation to take place then adding to secondary be a good route? Then I could maximize yeast potential or does it need some acidity to get going

Thanks I couldn't find a definitive answer for that. I have all my melons lined up in the basement ready to get washed, sanitized and juiced all the ingredients rounded up and equipment ready process starts tomorrow. Call it optimism but I have a good feeling about this

So upate for those who are following, juiced watermelons, added in the sugar to get a sg of 1.105, pH of3.3 sitting overnight on campden tabs will do yeast in the morning
IMG_20181013_211557.jpg IMG_20181013_160449.jpg

Update on the wine:
Racked twice now and it's clearing up nicely. It is very dry and will need back sweetened at the end. The hibiscus is very faint in taste which I was looking for but the color has ended up a little darker than expected all in all it has turned out good and with a little time I think it will be a great wine.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_172036.jpg
    IMG_20181025_172036.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
Beautiful color for a watermelon wine. I have some watermelon in secondary now. I had added strawberries to the ferment but that wasn’t enough of a color pop. My wine is now a pale pale pink. But the taste is there. So I can work with it. Next time I will look into the hibiscus.. loving the deep
Color !

An update on the watermelon wine

Once it cleared and backsweetened, it lacked some watermelon flavor so I added some watermelon extract. The flavor was still off and assumed the worst, but put it in the closet to try later. Decision day came for it last night and it is coming along very nice. Planning on bottling sometime next week

Latest posts

Back