Watermelon strawberry ph TA help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice! I will put that away for future reference.

Update on wine. For those following this post. We racked off lees yesterday and the wine tastes great even at this young stage. Knock on wood with crossed fingers. Lol.
Brigitte

Sounds like you are out of the danger zone now. You might check into the aging of Watermelon wine. I seem to remember seeing something about either watermelon or strawberry wine having a relatively short shelf-life. So aging very long might not be good.

Now if you need help consuming that wine.... :h

Lol. Good deal. I can use the help! I didn’t think it would have a long shelf life. Hoping 6-9 months. But idk

OK, I need some advice from this group. I tried my first watermelon batch last month. I tried to keep the temperature during primary fermentation below 60 oF but actually was only able to keep it in the 65 oF range. I rack the batch off into a 5 gal and a 3 gal carboys. The smell of the batch was not good. I thought I had a bacterial infection in the batch it was so bad. My reference is my previous batch of strawberry, blueberry, peach and satsuma. All these batch had a wonderful nose.
Let me give the batch history. I bought and juiced 8 watermelons in mid to late July. I froze the juice. I did section two watermelons and froze the meat instead of juicing them. ( I wanted to see if using the meat would give any different result than the straight juice. In mid September, I thawed the juice and the meat of the watermelons and started two batches. I used a recipe from Jack Keller. pH was Ok at the start of the batch and everything else looked good. I tasted the batches and the taste not bad but certainly not good.
My question is, is there anything I can do to salvage the batch or am I in a holding pattern at this point. I rack the two batches into a single 6.5 gal carboy today to get the wine off the lees. I will probably rack again in about 7 to 10 days to get more solids out of the batch.
Any all all help will be helpful and much appreciated.
Cxwgfamily

OK, I need some advice from this group. I tried my first watermelon batch last month. I tried to keep the temperature during primary fermentation below 60 oF but actually was only able to keep it in the 65 oF range. I rack the batch off into a 5 gal and a 3 gal carboys. The smell of the batch was not good. I thought I had a bacterial infection in the batch it was so bad. My reference is my previous batch of strawberry, blueberry, peach and satsuma. All these batch had a wonderful nose.
Let me give the batch history. I bought and juiced 8 watermelons in mid to late July. I froze the juice. I did section two watermelons and froze the meat instead of juicing them. ( I wanted to see if using the meat would give any different result than the straight juice. In mid September, I thawed the juice and the meat of the watermelons and started two batches. I used a recipe from Jack Keller. pH was Ok at the start of the batch and everything else looked good. I tasted the batches and the taste not bad but certainly not good.
My question is, is there anything I can do to salvage the batch or am I in a holding pattern at this point. I rack the two batches into a single 6.5 gal carboy today to get the wine off the lees. I will probably rack again in about 7 to 10 days to get more solids out of the batch.
Cxwgfamily

I’m certainly no expert on watermelon wine. My first batch is still aging. I have read that many people have trouble with it and almost pitch it because of the smell/taste. I have also read to let it age and it comes back around. Another point I read was to be sure to use really really good melons. Seeded are best. It sounds like you did everything right with temp .. I kept mine in the 60 degree range as well. I noticed a slight cantaloupe taste early on. But I was expecting it. I have also dehydrated watermelon and the dehydrated melon has a cantaloupe flavor. They are the same family of melon I guess. When taste testing the batch I have now I put a pinch or two of sugar in the sample and it brings out the watermelon flavor I am
Looking for.
If you were strict with K-meta and sanitizing .. and given the temps you fermented at i would probably give it some time and do a wait and see.
Good luck.
Brigitte

Have 5 gallons of watermelon that’s been in secondary for a couple months now and has cleared to a pale pink. Will try a few cherries in it next batch, scooter. Did notice a mixed cherry/muscadine batch I have going is much deeper in color than the straight muscadine.

Cxwgfamily

I was wondering about your watermelon wine. Did you keep it ?

Brigitte,
I did keep it. It is still suspect but my thinking is to let it age and see if it comes around. I racked it to a secondary and let it sit for about 14 days. Then, I racked it off the gross lees. It has been about a month and I will rack it again to get it off the remaining lees in the coming days. At this point, I will let it sit for about two months. If it has not cleared by then,or if it is not showing signs of clearing. I will begin trying varies clarifying methods. It is definite different from my other batches. The batch still has "floatees" at the liquid interface and an less than desirable aroma.

It would be interesting to have you and or others comment on my plan. Would you, or they , do anything different.

Brigitte,
I did keep it. It is still suspect but my thinking is to let it age and see if it comes around. I racked it to a secondary and let it sit for about 14 days. Then, I racked it off the gross lees. It has been about a month and I will rack it again to get it off the remaining lees in the coming days. At this point, I will let it sit for about two months. If it has not cleared by then,or if it is not showing signs of clearing. I will begin trying varies clarifying methods. It is definite different from my other batches. The batch still has "floatees" at the liquid interface and an less than desirable aroma.

It would be interesting to have you and or others comment on my plan. Would you, or they ,anything different.

Good to hear from you CXWG.
Glad to hear the wine is still in the game ! I am pretty sure you are K-Meta with racking but am going to mention it since you didn’t. I usually add it every other racking.
Personally I don’t get in a hurry with the clearing stage and let time work it’s magic. But I realize that’s a personal preference. I would think the floaters are probably melon flesh. And will probably eventually sink. If not and it was mine I would consider filtering it before bottling.
I would rack every 2-3 months like you are doing. And I would wait and see if it comes around on flavor. We racked our watermelon last weekend. It’s pale pale pink in the glass. And if I close my eyes and concentrate I can taste cantaloupe. I added some sugar to my sample and the watermelon flavor was more noticeable. Have you tried adding a little sugar to your sample to see if it tastes any better?
I’m pulling for you. I can’t wait to see the label you make for this one !!

Curious how everyone’s watermelon came out. Mine’s a year old now and still in secondary, but plan on bottling this week. Sampled and back sweetened last racking and thought it was great. Topped the carboy off with some heavy raspberry I’d bottled and love the color now (can’t taste the raspberry). Surprised so little actually changed it.

Not sure it’ll help, but for those struggling with the must spoiling, I pasteurize the juice at about 150 the night before I pitch the yeast, and have my yeast started 24-30 hours before. Pitch the pint and a half or so of starter as soon as the must drops below 80 and will have a rolling ferment within a few hours. Use a bucket for primary and stir twice daily (watch it closely, as it may go from 1.080 to .990 in 48 or so hours at room temperature). Have had friends with spoilage problems and push mine into secondary as quickly as possible. Started next year’s batch on Wednesday evening and racked it to secondary last night at 1.010. Almost let it finish in the bucket. :)

Latest posts

Back