Vineco Water???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loumik

Reaction score
I am about to begin my first effort at wine making but I'm a little confused by the instructions. I have a California Connoisseur Merlot 4 week Wine Kit. The instructions state that "distilled water is preferred". I have recently read that distilled water should not be used to make wine. :?

HMM, OK, I would follow your kit directions but yes, distilled water is normally not recommended. The reason why are the various minerals such as nitrogen for example are not present in the water which yeast thrive on to do their thing. I would personally use filtered water which is free of sediment and chlorine. I have no knowledge of these kits though.

I have made thousands of Vineco kits (I ran an FoP selling Vineco products), and have never used distilled water. I have used city tap water or reverse osmosis water.

Steve

I agree with above statements. I disagree with using distilled wtar as the 02 and minerals have been removed from this water and could cause you problems. If you like your tap water use it, if not use bottled spring water.

Thank you all for your help. I think I will just use tap water. We have good water here that tastes fine. If it doesn't work out well, nest time I'll try RO or spring water.

Yesterday I started my first batch of wine. I followed the instructions to the T and on the start all the numbers looked good. 30 minutes later I ran across this thread and yes I used distilled water. Last night I worried if it would start. This morning I found it working away. It has been bubbling very well all day. Being this is my first batch I do not know if it is working as it should. But next time I plan on using spring water.

I have a water softner and also have iron in my water so I use spring water all the time in the kits. Its pretty cheep at .70 considering the cost of the kit.

bdc, I would most likely add a tad more nutrient then usual or if it is a kit the I would add some just to make sure because you are depriving the yeast of some nutrients it may need. Will it ferment yes(no problem) would you be able to see a difference if it was having a problem(most likely not) until you started to smell H2S or just have a problem with it at the end maybe not fermenting all the way down. As far as )2 goes, if you whipped it up good in the beginning to stir it up really good then you dont have to worry aboyt that part. Some people just stir it up a little with a spoon. i nail it with the drill mounted Fizz X to aerate it and to make sure I get an accurate SSG reading.

I am about to begin my first effort at wine making but I'm a little confused by the instructions. I have a California Connoisseur Merlot 4 week Wine Kit. The instructions state that "distilled water is preferred". I have recently read that distilled water should not be used to make wine. :?

In the UK supermarkets sell 'table water' (purified) for 16p (about 25c) for 2 litres. It's so cheap I always use that for purity of taste. It's been a couple of years since I lived in the US but I seem to remember it's pretty cheap there too.

Your tap water should be fine unless it's nasty. We have chlorine in ours and I usually give it a day to air out before adding yeast which works well since the first 24 hours it's k-meta being added or pectic enzyme.

Latest posts

Back