Water

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My input on an old topic of water for wine making: <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

I have well water and water softening system which uses salt to regenerate the resin column which traps the minerals in the water that make it "hard". I also have a calcite tank that increases the pH because of low pH issues I had when first moving into my house.<O:p></O:p>

My system has 2 columns so one is always online and it can regenerate when needed based on total water usage.I used bottled water when I first started making wine but use my tap water now and don't have any problems. The better systems rinse the column well with water before it goes online so salty water should not be an issue.<O:p></O:p>

I also use this water for making beer and it has not been an issue although most instructions will tell you not to do it.<O:p></O:p>

Maybe a small amount of sodium in the water brings out the flavor of the wine and beer like it does in food when cooking!!!!<O:p></O:p>

Edited by: masta

Country Wine said:
So, does y'alls tap water have chlorine like mine? I am on city water and it is chlorinated.

smiley11.gif

Chlorine are nutralized instanly by sulphitethat is contained inyour wine.

Chief

Chief said:
Country Wine said:
So, does y'alls tap water have chlorine like mine? I am on city water and it is chlorinated.

smiley11.gif

Chlorine are nutralized instanly by sulphitethat is contained inyour wine.

Chief

I have to apologize. I did not give TimVandergrift credit for the above quote. I was quoting Tim from another fourm.

Chief

No matter, I will always use good old Arkansas spring water from Hot Springs. It contains loads of trace minerals and has been known for healing powers since way before we whities got here. I use it mainly because it tastes better than any other water and that has to follow through to the wine because it is the main ingredient. Right?

smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back