WATER TOP OFF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on my 3rd. day of stirring. The SG now measures 1.100. The 1st. day SG was 1.130. The 1st. day suggested SG is 1.070 to 1.097. Should I continue to stir until the fermentation appears to be done?

After stirring yesterday the SG measured 1.042 which sounded good to me. Today has been pretty crappy. I found the sensor for the heater (plastic wrap around) laying on the table and the wine very warm, 87 degrees. I stirred it to try and cool it a bit, but it didn't help much. When I measured the SG it was up from yesterday - 1.048. I'm thinking there will be some negative effects, but I don't know what. If I have spoiled this batch beyond fixing I will be pretty pissed. I'm feeling like a bull in a china shop!!

When I measured the SG it was up from yesterday - 1.048
Unless you've added something, the SG will not go up that much. Temperature adjustments are typically 1 or 2 points. My guess is that you got an incorrect reading, probably due to CO2.

Things are probably ok. 87 F is a bit high for development of aromatics, but wine yeast often likes temperatures up to 105 F (or so). The must will cool down and fermentation will continue.

You started with a very high SG -- it takes yeast time to eat that much sugar. This is not going to be a typical fermentation that is done in 5 to 7 days -- 8 to 14 is likely, although with the temperature at 87 F, it may ferment faster than I expect.

I suggest you simply stir the wine daily and let the yeast do its own thing. Relax and enjoy a glass of wine!

I thought for sure I had probably burned the mix and messed it up. It's nice to have you guys around and being so willing to help.
Thank you!!

I opened another bottle of Cab. Sauvignon. yesterday. It is just very weak. I describe it as not having much body or tasted. Like a bottle purposely watered down.
Is it possible to empty all of the bottles into a carboy and ferment again??

Is it possible to empty all of the bottles into a carboy and ferment again??
If we are talking about the wine first mentioned in this thread, probably not. The initial SG was high so trying to re-ignite the fermentation is less likely to work. If it did work, you'd simply have the same wine with a higher ABV. If it doesn't work, you have a sweet Cab.

The additives previously mentioned, including glycerin and oak, may help. I'd not add anything containing sugar (elderberries, skins, etc) as the ferment may not work and you'll have a sweet Cab.

Thanks for your response. If I emptied all of the bottles into a carboy, could I add some yeast and necessary additives and go through the process again?

IMO, no. The ABV is already high enough that re-starting the ferment is unlikely.

You don't need more alcohol. If it were me, I'd unbottle and age on 2 oz of medium toast oak cubes (American, Hungarian, or French) for 3 months. Rack off the cubes and add 1/2 to 1 oz glycerin per gallon, and taste.

What brand kit are you using?

The kit was from Wine Expert.
I'll take your advice and try the oak cubes and then the glycerin.
Thanks for the help.

The additives should help, but may not produce the result you want. In this case, plan for alternate uses of the wine, e.g., cooking, wine drinks (sangria!), and the like.

WE makes good kits IME. Did you top this one with water?

I did top with water, too much I think.
Honestly, IMO there is no fixing the wine so that it will be what you want. If you haven't started unbottling, don't do it.

So go with Plan B. The wine is not optimal -- it's not undrinkable, just not what you intended. Find other uses for it.

Cooking!

You have 2 cases of wine -- substitute wine for stock or water in recipes where it makes sense, e.g., don't pour 1 gallon of wine into a pot to boil pasta. [actually, that sounds interesting, I might try it when my wife isn't home for dinner, as my hare-brained ideas don't always work out.]

Making chili with beans? Replace some (or all) of the water with wine. I add half a bottle (or more) when making spaghetti sauce.

Start making dishes that actually call for wine, so you don't have to be too inventive. Chicken in red wine is good.

Wine drinks! A quickie Sangria-like drink is 1 bottle red wine, juice of 1 each lemon, lime, and orange, and sugar to taste. Substitute other fruit.

Frozen slushie -- wine, water, flavorings, freeze, stirring every hour or so.

Make ice cubes to be used in drinks where red wine is not off-the-wall. Now I'm wondering what a frozen Margarita would taste like if I substitute 1/2 the ice with wine cubes.

When life hands you lemons, make limoncello!

You have 2 cases of wine -- substitute wine for stock or water in recipes where it makes sense, e.g., don't pour 1 gallon of wine into a pot to boil pasta. [actually, that sounds interesting, I might try it when my wife isn't home for dinner, as my hare-brained ideas don't always work out.]
Haha, you're late on this idea. :) Google cooking pasta in red wine. I often cook risotto using red wine Risotto al Vino Rosso

Latest posts

Back