WATER TOP OFF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that can be done with all wines is adding glycerin at bottling time. I purchase glycerin for liqueurs, and tested it with my 2019 wines. 1 oz/gallon makes a tremendous improvement in mouth feel.
Winemaker81 - Thanks HUGE!!! It’s snippets like this, that can make ALL THE DIFFERENCE in a batch. My first batch of DDB was waaaay drier than I expected (probably due to adding 1 Tbsp of Tannin vs. 1 Tsp. I should have had a second cup of coffee that morning). SG was 1.005 after backsweetening, but much drier than wanted. Adding 1oz. of glycerin to a gallon to test, made ALL the difference. Just what I was looking for! Thank you for sharing your experience.

I'm beginning my 4th. week of a 1 gal. kit of Chardonnay. I topped it off with a like wine which gave me more than 1 gal. allowing me to save 1/2 of a qt. mason jar. I think that was after the 14th. day. The original SG was 1.082, on the 14th. day it was 0.993. That was after adding Sulphate/Sorbate and degassing
Ingredients 2 [1/4 oz] packets rapid rise yeast [such as Fleischmann's] ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tsp 1⅓ cup of lukewarm water or milk 4 cups all purpose flour 1 tsp salt 1 large egg 8 Tbsp butter, divided Instructions In a measuring cup, dissolve both packets of yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar in 1⅓ cup of lukewarm water. If you use hot water or milk, it will kill the yeast and the bread won't rise. So, make sure the water is lukewarm not boiling. Let the yeast mixture sit on the counter for 5-7 minutes to allow the yeast to "bloom." You'll see bubbles and froth begin to gather on the top. In a medium size mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt and sugar. Add the egg. After the yeast has developed, gradually add it to the dry ingredients in the bowl, along with 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Begin to blend the ingredients together, using a large spoon incorporating more liquid as you go. I used a silicone spatula, and the dough didn't stick to it, making this task a lot easier. After incorporating all of the flour place into a buttered bowl, and cover it with a damp cloth. Allow the dough to sit in a warm, draft free place, covered for 1 hour to double. Use a 2 ounce ice cream scoop, lightly sprayed with cooking spray, to separate the dough into even portions after punching it down to release the air bubbles. Roll into a ball in your hands then arrange side by side, in a buttered non-stick metal baking pan. I used a 10-inch spring form pan. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops. Reserve some of the melted butter to brush on the tops after the rolls come out of the oven, too. Cover with a damp cloth and allow the rolls to rise again until doubled. [about an hour] OR Bake them immediately To bake: Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 20-22 minutes. Serve hot. Original Recipe: http://www.melissassouthernstylekitch...

SHOW LESS

I'm beginning my 4th. week of a 1 gal. kit of Chardonnay. I topped it off with a like wine which gave me more than 1 gal. allowing me to save 1/2 of a qt. mason jar. I think that was after the 14th. day. The original SG was 1.082, on the 14th. day it was 0.993. That was after adding Sulphate/Sorbate and degassing and then adding Kieselsol. I took a taste from the mason jar today and it was REALLY acidic. Is there anything I can do before I do the final rack next week?

I'm beginning my 4th. week of a 1 gal. kit of Chardonnay. I topped it off with a like wine which gave me more than 1 gal. allowing me to save 1/2 of a qt. mason jar. I think that was after the 14th. day. The original SG was 1.082, on the 14th. day it was 0.993. That was after adding Sulphate/Sorbate and degassing and then adding Kieselsol. I took a taste from the mason jar today and it was REALLY acidic. Is there anything I can do before I do the final rack next week?
It sounds like you only sampled from the extra wine which was in a half full Mason jar, and sounds like that wine may have spoiled either due to contamination, or just being in a half full jar exposed to a large amount of oxygen (possibly turning to vinegar, or just really oxidized)? Hopefully, when you rack the wine which is in the 1 gallon container, which was full to the top, you won't experience that same really acidic taste. In that case, just dump what is in the Mason jar. If it is all super acidic I don't know if it can be saved.

Visited with the wine/beer supply guy today. I explained the situation with mason jar taste, but he is a beer guy. He did find a bit of info that I'm not sure about, but I'm going to try it. He suggested I put some Tartar in the mason jar and it would acidic molecules (?) drop to the bottom. Eh? I think I can hear the uproar already.
I will follow your suggestions for the gal. carboy. Is there a problem if I just rack it to another gal. carboy and age it for a couple of months?
As always, THANK YOU for your help!!!

Visited with the wine/beer supply guy today. I explained the situation with mason jar taste, but he is a beer guy. He did find a bit of info that I'm not sure about, but I'm going to try it. He suggested I put some Tartar in the mason jar and it would acidic molecules (?) drop to the bottom. Eh? I think I can hear the uproar already.
No uproar. My goal, and that of other responders, is to help you avoid losing your main batch.

Your LHBS guy may know beer, but don't trust him on wine. Adding tartaric acid to a wine that may be oxidizing? Words fail me. 😜

Get the mason jar wine into a container that minimizes headspace. Look for screwcap wine bottles, 750, 375, 200, 125 ml. I have purchased samples/wedding size on sale, threw the wine out, cleaned the bottles, and kept them for small amounts.

If that wine is hosed, you lost a pint. In the grand scheme of things, it's a cheap lesson.

Next time you rack the gallon, top with Chardonnay. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as you like it.

Thanks for your help and information. What are your thoughts about leaving some room at the top of the primary fermentation container and just covering the container with a cloth until the first rack? Do you use water or a like wine for the first topping off?

Thanks for your help and information. What are your thoughts about leaving some room at the top of the primary fermentation container and just covering the container with a cloth until the first rack? Do you use water or a like wine for the first topping off?
you mean to ferment? i ferment in a 32 gallon drum, even if only making 6 or 7 gallons, oxygen is your friend during ferment, i stir oxygen in daily during ferment, now as soon as ferment is over then oxygen is your enemy , the towel helps keep the crawlers out,
Dawg

Most on WMT ferment in open containers, as @hounddawg said. Oxygen is required for the yeast to multiply, so fermenting in a carboy or other sealed container inhibits yeast expansion. Stir the wine (juice) or punch down the cap (fruit) at least once a day. This mixes the must and prevents dry spots from forming on top, where mold can grow.

I normally do the first rack between 1.010 (juice & kits) and 0.998 (grapes) as I want some activity left. The wine goes into a carboy with headspace -- at this time it's still fermenting so headspace is not only ok, it prevents volcanos if the fermentation gets vigorous. After 1 to 2 weeks the fermentation normally completes and the gross lees drops and compacts. It will be emitting a lot of dissolved CO2.

At this point I rack again and place in containers with minimal headspace, as oxygen is now the enemy. I am now in the habit of stirring the wine -- 2 minutes, changing direction every 30 seconds. This causes the wine is expel a LOT of CO2 and the wine clears much quicker. I like to get it off the gross lees fairly quickly.

Very helpful, thanks! What kind of SG are you looking for when you decide to do the final rack? Do you bottle then or age in a large container?

Very helpful, thanks! What kind of SG are you looking for when you decide to do the final rack? Do you bottle then or age in a large container?
After the lack racking I mentioned, the SG should be 0.990 to 0.996. When the SG is in this range and not changing for 3 days, it's done fermenting.

It's typically 3 to 4 weeks from start to going into bulk aging. I bulk age for 2 to 12 months, depending on the wine.

Kits -- 2 to 6 months. I typically bulk age longer than the instructions say, but unless I'm adding extra oak, probably 3 to 4 months.

Whites & fruits -- 3 to 6 months.

Reds -- 3 to 12 months. If it's a basic red with no oak, 3 or 4 months. With oak additives? 4 to 8 months. If in a barrel, 12 months, which is when the next year's wine is ready to go into the barrel.

These time frames depend on numerous factors, including the wine itself, my free time, if I have enough bottles collected, etc. I have not had a serious problem with wine clearing in decades, so that's not a factor for me. However, if the wine is not clear and/or is dropping sediment, it's not ready to bottle.

I started a 5 gal. kit of Reisling yesterday and held back on topping off with water in order to leave more space for the oxygen/fermentation. My first measure of SG was 1.130 which sounds high to me. I'm wondering if I should add more water in hopes of bringing the SG down to near where the kit suggests.
Any suggestions?

I have it in a bucket now and the fermentation is doing well. I will add more water to get to suggested SG.
Thanks!!

I usually stir daily, and take an SG reading after, then I know where the wine is. This also lets some CO2 escape, and adds oxygen, which helps the yeast during ferment. Oh yeah, get a notebook and log everything! This is the soundest advice that I have ever gotten about making wine.

Last edited:
Back