water to make 1 gallon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atribune

Reaction score
Hi,

In a number of recipes I see "water to make 1 gallon" how do you judge how much water that is when working with fresh or frozen fruit that you don't really know how much juice will be there.

TIA
Dave

Add your water after your fruit. You will need more than 1 gallon to offset fruit displacement and loss due to lees. I guestimate. Maybe others can give you a rule of thumb.

I would add 1 gallon. the amt of fruit will add very little liquid. Fruit will leave alot of lees in the primary and a fair amt in the secondary

Atri, most of the time when you hear about water to make a gallon, the discussion is about juice, or concentrate. Whole fruit, fresh or frozen, should be and most likely be refered to in a different scale.

If you are using frozen concentrated juice for example. Those are typically 12 oz. If you need 3 to make a gallon. You are starting with 36 oz. of concentrate and you will add 92 oz. of water to make a gallon.

As was just mentioned fruit and sugar wil displace some of that. I don't figure that into my original scale mentioned above.

Sugar will indeed take up some room, and should be considered. For example, if you are making 1 gallon of wine(any flavor, depending on the fruit, juice, etc.), you are looking at adding around 2- pounds of sugar. Although it is being dissolved it still occupies the space.

I think alot of new winemakers forget this when we are talking about a 1 gallon batch. Just because the recipie is for a one gallon batch, doesn't NECESSARILY mean it will fit into a one gallon jug. Some recipes take this into consideration, but most don't.

So in conclusion..if it says, "to make a gallon" it means your juice, etc, and enough water to make 128oz. Then use some of that juice(must) warm it up and dissolve your sugars in that. But guaranteed, it will increase the overall volume. be prepared for that.

Troy

I have been adding the full gallon, but I'm still in fermentation on all of mine so I haven't be able to see how much effect the extra water has on flavours.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

It'll be fine Dave just a little weak, in flavor. The sugar will equal the alcohol. Some mebers in here even say go with 4 cans of concentrate, and add 80 oz of water to make a gallon. Wine and beer making isn't an exact science. Everything you hear in here has been learned through trial and error. The main purpose of this site is to help everyone else into having success without having to go through the errors. Once you are comfortable with your process, experiment away.

I see you are relatively new here. You ought to see what some of these people are making wine out of!!

We got your back. Listening is as important as patience in this game!

LOL

Troy

I haven't look at her recipe in a few days ATRI, I too am interested in her way with this frozen fruit. Tasting, testing, expermenting, it's really hard to say what is the best way. Thats why rely on others tried and true recipes, and we can tweak them and alter them from there.

If a recipe isn't clear, it is easy to get confused.

Julie comes in often enough, I am sure she will pop in and explain what she means. She is an experienced wine maker and I see no reason to question her "ways".

Stand by. no doubt she will be happy to send the clarified info your way.

Troy, I am going to get a leash for Julie. She has been wondering around when we're not watching visiting the other guys.....LOL

Last edited:
Perhaps she shoulde be spanked with a rhubarb frond. get her husband on the horn, we might be able to get her refocused.

We need her guidance.

(man, its been a while but Troy is heading for trouble again on the forum, I always relied on Allie to keep me in line.)

Going to put a hard covered book down my pant now. LOL

Last edited:
Oh boy, Allie is gonna be back any day now. The women will band up. We had better be selective in what we say, Julie and Allie are pretty tough. it wouldn't take much to get in trouble with those two!!!!!!
LOL
(running, and LMAO)

Heck I'm not worried about Allie by the time she gets back her blood will be so thin from a month at the beach, no way will she be coming near our artic areas. Geesh Julie wouldn't travel up north here and its only 100 miles.

The way to do is to add all your fruit in there and then squeeze to extract, pull out te fruit and then add about 2/3 of the water needed cause you still ave to add the sugar.

Troy, I am going to get a leash for Julie. She has been wondering around when we're not watching visiting the other guys.....LOL

Perhaps she shoulde be spanked with a rhubarb frond. get her husband on the horn, we might be able to get her refocused.

We need her guidance.

(man, its been a while but Troy is heading for trouble again on the forum, I always relied on Allie to keep me in line.)

Going to put a hard covered book down my pant now. LOL

You two!!!!!

LOL, Well Dan, how do you know where I have been visiting? Gee you could have said hello when you were there! :)

Troy, I'm glad to see that the weather hasn't frozen your mischievous side.

Dave,

Wade is right. I put the fruit in a straining bag (once the fruit is soft) and squeeze as much juice as I can. You will probably squeeze most of the juice out of the fruit at this point. I still leave the bag in for a few days.

Julie

Back