Water Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssschuerch

Junior
Reaction score
My husband and I are making pear wine for the first time. We are making 6 gallons and the recipe calls for 4-6 pounds per gallon. We added the fruit to a 7.9 gallon primary fermenter, but then only had room for about 1/2 the amount of water that was called for by the recipe. It said 3 1/4 quarts of water per gallon of wine making. We added about 2.5 gallons total before there was no more room in the fermenter. Any suggestions?

When working with 6 gallon batches with fruit you usually need to seperate it into 2 buckets due to the amount of fruit to be safe.

At this point we have all the fruit and water in one fermenter, do you have any suggestions on how to proceed from here. We have all the fruit in a strainer bag in the fermenter and it's full of water and juice now.

I've been in this boat before, I wound up running down to my local wal-mart and getting a thirty gallon garbage can (plastic of course) to throw the entire recipe worth of ingredients into. Just sterilise the can real good. You should have no problem at all.

Welcome to the hobby and welcome to the forum !!

Steve

You need to seperate it as if you were making 2 3-gallon batches. It also helps if you but the fruit in straining bags. It will be easier to remove that way.

I make a 9 gallon batch and i have an 18 gallon container that i used to put my entire recipe in.

Latest posts

Back