Water layer?? After racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandemoniumWines

Save the Winos
Reaction score
I have been step feeding a coffee wine, but I have to leave on a business trip so I racked it at gravity 1.015.

approximately two minutes later, I saw a clear layer form on top of my wine. I have not encountered this before. What gives?

Attachments

• 4DB9D064-E015-4724-A243-EF4BA3423BD2.jpeg
    4DB9D064-E015-4724-A243-EF4BA3423BD2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Well OK then. It has resumed fermentation and it “dissolved“ the ‘water’ layer. I guess all is well?

Attachments

• 67FA9E90-8557-4734-B8F8-9D3F20FC992D.jpeg
    67FA9E90-8557-4734-B8F8-9D3F20FC992D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
I have had a similar thing happen when doing unusual ferments. The one I remember seeing it in was chocolate covered cherries, yes, made from the candies only sold at Christmas. The ferment is crazy and makes a huge mound of almost sludge, but at that first racking you get a clearing layer that goes away in hours.

I have had a similar thing happen when doing unusual ferments. The one I remember seeing it in was chocolate covered cherries, yes, made from the candies only sold at Christmas. The ferment is crazy and makes a huge mound of almost sludge, but at that first racking you get a clearing layer that goes away in hours.
Did it taste like chocolate-covered cherries? If not, what was the taste? Also, what was the final bottling color?...........................Dizzy

Did it taste like chocolate-covered cherries? If not, what was the taste? Also, what was the final bottling color?...........................Dizzy

It did taste like chocolate covered cherries, the final bottling color was clear brownish color. Almost a good single malt scotch color. It's a fun wine to make, I probably have a recipe around somewhere for what I did. I am sure I found the recipe on Jack Kellors site, somewhere in one of his blogs.

The likely explanation is that you mixed the wine and had high density solids settle right after it was racked. It is interesting that some color matter mixed into the neck again, haven’t seen this combination of events ever.
, coffee wine, I racked it at gravity 1.015.. . approximately two minutes later, I saw a clear layer form on top of my wine. I have not encountered this before. What gives?

Latest posts

Back