Water and Yeast amount

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

Reaction score
I`m working on a few 1-gal batches and was wondering how much yeast I should be using per gal. Also, do most of you use just tap water or something else. I`ve read a couple post on using 3 cans of concentrate instead of the 2 cans the recipe calls for. I`m using the Welches Niagra White recipe.

Burch :sm

I did a couple of one gallon batches last year and split the yeast pack in half for each gallon. The packs say "for 1-6 gallons" if I recall, but it worked for me. I even refrigerated the other half pack and used it a month later. yeast is cheap but I couldn't get to my store and had to split it. I use spring water always. Its cheap and you don't have to worry about any off odors or chlorinated water. Never use distilled, as it doesn't have the minerals that yeast enjoy. - Good luck!!!

Yes - use 3 cans versus 2. I'd also avoid Old Orchard concentrate and stick with Welches.

I did a couple of one gallon batches last year and split the yeast pack in half for each gallon. The packs say "for 1-6 gallons" if I recall, but it worked for me. I even refrigerated the other half pack and used it a month later. yeast is cheap but I couldn't get to my store and had to split it. I use spring water always. Its cheap and you don't have to worry about any off odors or chlorinated water. Never use distilled, as it doesn't have the minerals that yeast enjoy. - Good luck!!!

Yes - use 3 cans versus 2. I'd also avoid Old Orchard concentrate and stick with Welches.

I`m using the Welches and have plenty of yeast on hand. I`ll pick up some spring water and thanks alot for the tips MN. :br
Burch

If your tap water is drinkable and NOT thru a water softener then I would use that.
Download from Google WineCalc great tool this will tell how much sugar to add to get the gravity to 1.085
Also; when adding sugar take some water from the bucket and bring to almost a boil add sugar and stir till dissolved then add back. Otherwise you will get a false gravity reading.

I used softened water quit a few times with no ill effects as far as I could tell. Why should that be avoided? And why not Old Orchard? Haven't tried it, but been tempted a few times.

I used old orchard grape for a one gallon batch and it just tasted terrible. No body and tasted like cheap grape juice with vodka in it.

Wade told me after the fact that Old Orchard is "95% crap" if I recall. I agree but have no way to back it up. I've heard good results from using Welches grape. I'm talking the grape juice only. It may be that some of the other things Old Orchard makes are fine.

I used old orchard grape for a one gallon batch and it just tasted terrible. No body and tasted like cheap grape juice with vodka in it.

Wade told me after the fact that Old Orchard is "95% crap" if I recall. I agree but have no way to back it up. I've heard good results from using Welches grape. I'm talking the grape juice only. It may be that some of the other things Old Orchard makes are fine.

Any difference between the Welches juice and the Welches 100% concentrate ? I`m fixing to start a 1 gal. batch of the concentrate.

I personally would go with the concentrate because then its easier to adjust the thinness (by adding less water). If you go with bottled then I suppose you could add some concentrate to a couple of bottles to thicken it up some.

I think you will get lots of opinions on this. I would follow one of the many recipes for Welches and use 3 cans per gallon. Try a gallon and see what you think, then adjust. Good luck.

If your tap water is drinkable and NOT thru a water softener then I would use that.
Download from Google WineCalc great tool this will tell how much sugar to add to get the gravity to 1.085
Also; when adding sugar take some water from the bucket and bring to almost a boil add sugar and stir till dissolved then add back. Otherwise you will get a false gravity reading.

I found one at VinoEnology .com but i`ll be danged if I know how to use it. It`s asking for brix of must and I have no idea what that is. I can measure the gravity and just add sugar to get the 1.085 right ? The reciepe called for 1 - 1/4 lbs. of sugar for two cans of Welches. I wondering how much more it`ll take for 3 cans ?

I like the Old Orchard, Hawaiis Own, and the Dole brand of frozen concentrates.

Use 3 cans and enough water to make a gallon. Remeber sugar is going to take up some volume also. So this isn't going to fit in a 1 gallon fermenter!

For 3 cans I'd use about 2 cups, thats about 1 1/4 LB. But only your hydrometer can tell you, each juice is going to be different on its sugar content.

I`ve started my batch with 3 - 11.5 cans of the Welches Niagra. I had to dilute it quite a bit `cause the sugar kept taking up space and I screwed it up the at first by adding too much sugar so my starting SG was way up their but it still taste pretty good with a lot of flavor. My starting SG was 1.090 after fixing my intial screw up. After letting it sit all night I added the final ingedient of wine yeast and covered it with cheese cloth. The recipe calls for another 5 days before adding the airlock. Does everything sound good so far ?

Burch

Last edited:
Sounds good so far. Assuming the recipe called for acid blend and adding Campden and/or yeast nutrient.

I think it will be fine. I think 1.09 is about as high as I would go.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sounds good so far. Assuming the recipe called for acid blend and adding Campden and/or yeast nutrient.

I think it will be fine. I think 1.09 is about as high as I would go.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Yes, the recipe called for acid blend,yeast nutient and pectic enzyme

Latest posts

Back