WineXpert Washington Meritage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian

I love this obsession
Reaction score
I just want to let you know that I am making my second batch of this special kit because I have made lots of kits and this is the best right out of the shoot that I have ever tasted. I bottled the firs batch about 2 months ago and of course there was a little left at bottling time (as always) so I had a glass and usually I don't like wines at bottling but I can tell where they are going to be when aged. But I was really impressed with this one. So if you like reds and you can still get one of these kits I would suggest you do. :br

I would also be interested in finding out what others think of this kit..

This was a sacrificial kit that went into my 3rd Vadai barrel. It spent 4 weeks in the barrel and then back into the carboy for 6-9 months. I sampled just a bit when racking back to carboy. It tasted sorta sweet IMHO even though it fermented to dry in primary. I am thinking KT or "kit taste" which is pretty strong on most WE kits. I will wait till this one is 12 months old before the next taste probably. Too soon to tell just yet but high hopes due to the blend and of course the AVA source of the juice.

This was a sacrificial kit that went into my 3rd Vadai barrel. It spent 4 weeks in the barrel and then back into the carboy for 6-9 months. I sampled just a bit when racking back to carboy. It tasted sorta sweet IMHO even though it fermented to dry in primary. I am thinking KT or "kit taste" which is pretty strong on most WE kits. I will wait till this one is 12 months old before the next taste probably. Too soon to tell just yet but high hopes due to the blend and of course the AVA source of the juice.

If you give the W.E. kits enough time to lose that "KT" they can be very very good.My Crushendo Single Vineyard Shiraz is pretty dam good right now at 2.5 years.

I had planned to let this one age in the carboy a bit longer but needed to free up the carboys. I started it the end of January. split this batch into two 3G carboys. The first I followed instructions, the second I added an oak spiral and a couple ounces of glycerin when Bottled it yesterday. I also found that it had a bit of "sweet" taste even though it was fermented dry. I decided to tinker around a bit and made a few bottles of "fortified" dessert style wine from part of the carboy I had added the oak to. I did some blending and tasting and added a tiny bit of blackberry flavor. Ended up with a dessert style wine with an SG of 1.030 and 17% abv. Tasty.

Started this one a month ago.Sounds like it is going to be a very good one.

Anyone know where to find one of these mail order? I would assume they are all gone at this point but you all make it sound so good.

I have mine bulk aging for almost 30 days

As far as my batch I didn't deviate from the instructions and it did tend to change in taste at each step. When I transferred to the secondary it tasted like it was going to be a very bold and powerful red with lots of tannin to age out. After secondary it tasted very fruity with a hint of sweetness. After stabilization the sweetness went away and it developed a slight bitter after taste which worried me. Now after 30 days in bulk I tasted a sample today. I was very impressed as to how this wine is turning out I would say the fruit taste has come back and it is a well rounded wine which will be an easy drinker and won't be as bold as I thought it would. I am very pleased with this wine and it will only get better with some more aging.

I just sampled this today after a short 2-3 weeks in my small Vadai barrel. It is more tannic now than other times I've sampled it and not as fruity as several weeks ago.. My barrel is getting closer to neutral so I've added a medium plus oak spiral. I am going to have to get it out of the barrel in a about a month when my chilean cab is ready to go in. Not sure if I'll bottle the Meritage when or put it to glass to bulk age while I am gone this summer.
It is amazing to me how much a wine can change over time. That is part of what makes wine such a fascinating beverage!
BTW, kit taste is non-existent.

Mine is now in bulk aging, so it will be a few months before I can comment on the result. Good to hear all these encouraging comments.

It is the off season for fermenting for me now, as we will likely be turning the AC on im a few weeks. My wife likes it cool in the house so the basement gets too cold to make wine. One we turn off the AC in the fall, and are back to low 70s in the basement I will start again. 15 full batches this year, so I want to beat that next year. In the mean time we are now starting to bottle. We do 3 batches in one weekend day.

Latest posts

Back