Washing the fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustmeCindy

Junior
Reaction score
I have been reading that washing fruits in a baking soda and water solution removes many of the chemicals from the skins. Supposedly scientists have found that it even does a better job at it than bleach!! So my question is.... is this okay to do when making wines? Does the baking soda react in a negative way even giving it a good final rinse, I worry about residual films left on skins. Summer is here ( at least I think it is here ) and I want to make lots and lots of fruit wines......words out of a newbies mouth!

I'd imagine that it'd change the chemical reactions after you used soda on fruit.

I'm interested in seeing the thoughts on this.

Baking soda won’t hurt. I’ve actually used it to start a batch that was over sulfited. I’m not sure if it changes anything else but it will kick start a stubborn batch.

K
Baking soda won’t hurt. I’ve actually used it to start a batch that was over sulfited. I’m not sure if it changes anything else but it will kick start a stubborn batch.
Kick started? As in got the ferment going strong? Is it a kind of yeast nutrient?

I would think it could impact the pH of the must to some degree if it's not rinsed off well, that alone is not a show stopper. Anything else it might do?

Source I found listed it as having a pH of 9 so that could tip the pH if there was much left on the fruit. (Except for Blueberries...)

Latest posts

Back