Washing mancozeb off grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
hey guys, is it possible to wash mancozeb off grapes? I just put some on and a week later we are into veraison so I won’t make the 63 day before harvest interval. This is just a test batch, not for commercial sale. Thanks.

The PHI is 66 days for mancozeb, but it isn't that different than 63 or even 60 days. If it isn't for sale commercially and you are using it for personal use, then that is "informed consent". I bet the the PHI is so sandbagged hugely anyway there isn't going to be an issue.

Mancozeb is a systemic. I wouldn't mess with it but if you're starting verasion, you got another month, app. Might be ok.

I believe mancozeb is not systemic, in fact I am pretty sure it is not. It acts on what it touches only and is why a thurough spray of all areas is needed when you apply it.

I don't think you can "wash" it off, but depending how much you have a good vinegar bath may help clean any traces of it that may be left.

Hopefully someone with way more experience chimes in.

I looked it up and I stand corrected. Still, with a 66 day PHI, Its obviously very residual.

I think I will let them hang as long as possible and then wash before crushing. I moved from Connecticut to Arizona and it’s shocking how fast we ripen here. Probably harvest in the next 30 days. Brix is already 15-20.

Latest posts

Back