washing apples

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to press the apples from my 3 apple trees with my new presser. My question is after I pick the apples, do they need to be washed or hosed off before pressing?

Grape vintners never do.........

However if you do not want any insects, insecticides or
bird droppings in your wine then by all means hose down.

Luc

However if you do not want any insects, insecticides or
bird droppings in your wine then by all means hose down.

Luc

Ahh... A little protein never hurts.. LOL :b

Yes but, I only highlighted the "insects" on my reply. :h:h

I always wondered where the term "hoser" came from, it was the apple washing guys. I was always content thinking it was the gals modeling nylon stockings.

When I make fruit wine (apple,peaches,pears,apricots) most of the time I drop them in a bucket of water just to "rinse" them.

I htink everything should be washed before using.Its good for health.All the dust particles will be removed by washing it.

I ended up washing them in the sink before "trying" to crush. Then the problem; these apples were too hard to crush. I have a rachet type crusher, and I'm no weakling: 260 #'s, and I couldn't tourque the squisher down. So I ended up steaming and wound up with 3 gallons of apple juice that way.

Did you really crush them or just pressed them.
Crushing is done before pressing.

Freezing the apples would have helped a lot !!!!

Luc

I was trying to crush the apples. You know I didn't even think about freezing them first. Senior moment.

please dont take this wrong, but almost every thread an fruit wine suggest freezing fruit first as well as most online receipies. You can either read until your eyes bleed or mess up then come ask for help. The upside is between Tom, Wade, Allie and Luc you will get a good fix

I agree with Mad Mike, these guys are awesome and more valuble than any book out there. I'd like to take this time and thank all of you for all of your comments and help :b

Thanks Mike for the confidance, just don't ask me a complicated question, I may not know as much as I think!!:D

Freezing is the way to go, without a doubt.

I have always wondering if simmering them might produce the same break down as we need to extract the "love"

If you were to take all those apples and simmer them down, low heat, I wonder if it would help in the extraction of the juices, and after that, would you include the leftover "pulp" in a straining bag?

Any thoughts on this? I further wonder if by simmering all, or some of these fruits may actually cause harm.

Troy
:b

Gee Thanks guys. :b :b
But, Thats why we are here. To help all you guys and gale make good/better wine.
Keep asking questions..

I have always wondering if simmering them might produce the same break down as we need to extract the "love"

If you were to take all those apples and simmer them down, low heat, I wonder if it would help in the extraction of the juices, and after that, would you include the leftover "pulp" in a straining bag?

Any thoughts on this? I further wonder if by simmering all, or some of these fruits may actually cause harm.

Troy
:b
Make an investment and get a Steam Juicer. What I like is I can steam fruit juice, add to a canning jar and keep till I want to make that fruit wine.
I just started Strawberry I steam juiced 3 months ago. Yes I started it now because I did not have any of my 21+ 6-gallon carboys empty at the time.

Tom, do you agree there is a difference between washin, rinsing, and scrubbing. When it comes to grapes (something I know nothing about), seems like you wouldn't want to "wash" to agressively.

Personally, if you get them, (any fruit/produce) from the grocery store I think it would be silly NOT to at least rinse them off. Commercially grown fruit, or produce for that matter, will almost certainly been sprayed with some sort of an insectiside, or who knows what else.

I remeber reading once, (long before getting hooked on making wine), that commercially grown strawberries were one of the very worst to have chemicals sprayed on them.

I would think naturally grown fruits/berries have a little more chance of being free from these concerns.

Any thoughts?

Troy

YEP!
I "rinse" What I mean is I fill a bucket with water. add apples so they float. I then take those and cut and core. Then add to straining bag. You dont know what laying on the apples. :h
Washing I always think WITH soap. so dont
Scrubbing.. WHY? are they full of mud? if so toss them.. LOL

I rince with a solution of K-met when I buy apples and they last alot longer than when I dont. I am talking eating apples. I might try it this week when I get all the apples from lady down the road. These people are hell bent on making we a fruit wine maker(son and nieghbors)

Latest posts

Back