• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Wine diamonds / unprocessed tartar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PumpkinDad

Hobbyist Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking to purchase several pounds of unprocessed wine tartar, preferably from red wine. These are the "wine diamonds" which crystallize out during the production of wine. I can't use the ordinary commercial stuff (cream of tartar).

If interested, please let me know how much you have available and your price per lb.

Thanks!
PD

Bump... this is a standing offer. Just let me know your price and how much you can provide.

Thank you!!

I don't have any -

But am interested what you're planning to use it for?

Thx!
-johann

You know, jburtner just asked a question, I don't think you need to come on here with wanting to know if he is German written in German. That is bordering on the rude side.

Last edited:
Ich habe keinen Deutschen Pass, aber Ich wuchs oben auf den Banken des Neckar. Was machen Sie mit den Weindiamanten?

Bitte bitte und zum Wohl!
-johann.b

I usually end up with several cups that I rinse out of each of my tanks. This is normally what I get during the first spring racking (after cold stabilization).

I could collect it. No charge, just cover my shipping costs.

Good question, though. What do you use it for????

I like John get a lot of diamonds from my big Reds. Would be glad to send them to you if you answer 2 questions. 1) I'm German & can read a little. But why are the first 2 posts in English & the last2 in German? 2) I also am curious what you are going to do with them. Roy

Ich habe keinen Deutschen Pass, aber Ich wuchs oben auf den Banken des Neckar. Was machen Sie mit den Weindiamanten?

Bitte bitte und zum Wohl!
-johann.b

Oh, excellent and sehr gut! Apologies if my comment came off as short, I didn't intend it that way. The reason I ask is because I was hoping that maybe you could tell me more about it.

My wife's grandmother is German and says that her family used to use it for baking. They used unprocessed red and white weinstein. She doesn't want ordinary cream of tartar and says it is not the same. Maybe it's for sentimental reasons but I looked into it and there do seem to be some differences.

Anyway, my wife and I would like to give her a big jar of it for a present. If you know what the original stuff might be called in German, maybe I could have some shipped. Everything I found is processed.

PD

I usually end up with several cups that I rinse out of each of my tanks. This is normally what I get during the first spring racking (after cold stabilization).

I like John get a lot of diamonds from my big Reds. Would be glad to send them to you if you answer 2 questions. 1) I'm German & can read a little. But why are the first 2 posts in English & the last2 in German? 2) I also am curious what you are going to do with them. Roy

Thanks to both of you for the kind offer. I wasn't expecting to get it for free but at least let me pay for shipping. Is Paypal ok?

Roy, how much do you think you'll have? 5 lbs or so would be ideal but I'll take what I can get.

PD

Last edited:
Most commonly, cream of tartar is used as a leavener, because when it's combined with baking soda, together they produce carbon dioxide gas.

Oh, excellent and sehr gut! Apologies if my comment came off as short, I didn't intend it that way. The reason I ask is because I was hoping that maybe you could tell me more about it.

My wife's grandmother is German and says that her family used to use it for baking. They used unprocessed red and white weinstein. She doesn't want ordinary cream of tartar and says it is not the same. Maybe it's for sentimental reasons but I looked into it and there do seem to be some differences.

Anyway, my wife and I would like to give her a big jar of it for a present. If you know what the original stuff might be called in German, maybe I could have some shipped. Everything I found is processed.

PD

Weinstein! That makes sense!

German cakes and baked goods are generally less sweet and more savory types of items. Zwiebelkuchen for instance is "Onion Cake" it looks like it might be sweet but it isn't - it's made of onions...

I can imagine the wine flavors in cream of tarter Weinstein would be good flavoring for that type of baking.

I am not that familiar with the baking recipes and procedures but this makes sense...

Cheers!
-johann

Weinstein! That makes sense!

German cakes and baked goods are generally less sweet and more savory types of items. Zwiebelkuchen for instance is "Onion Cake" it looks like it might be sweet but it isn't - it's made of onions...

I can imagine the wine flavors in cream of tarter Weinstein would be good flavoring for that type of baking.

I am not that familiar with the baking recipes and procedures but this makes sense...

Cheers!
-johann

Very interesting, thanks for replying. That does make a lot of sense.

PD

Where ya at ? I make wine professionally..have tons of it I dispose of yearly. You can come get as much as you need

Josh

Hey, I missed your comment when you wrote it... I'm in Illinois. Close to you by any chance?

Latest posts

Back