• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wine Making Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: DemiJohn

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North_Ga_Jug-Or-Not

No Glass Needed
Reaction score
15 gallon demijohns are more difficult to come across than I would have expected. I've been shopping around for a while now trying to find a local pickup with no success. Even ones I've found on the net, which aren't many, either do not ship or don't have any info as to price. Anyone know how I might get my hands on one?(two?). I'm a logistician by day, so I understand freight costs better than most and could probably arrange shipping myself at a better rate than I've seen on some. Any help would be appreciated, as this is something I'm really keeping my mind set on.

sorry just noticed they were out of stock
you could try here labelpeelers.com link takes you to order place

Last edited:
just google new 15 gallon demijohns you'll get a ton of places with them

Ty, and yes labelpeelers was the best prospect as of yet. Was hoping someone may know of one in Alabama, tenn., or Ga that I could pick up for less than shipping one. I'm not planning on using it until musc's are ripe, but I wanted to see it sitting there waiting on them regardless. Lol

WOW about $55 for a 15 gallon demi john. That would be cool if you had it set up and didn't have to move it (Vacuum racking). But cleaning would be a bit more then I could stand.

For the value though it's a great deal. A 26 gallon vct is about $500.00.

Ty, and yes labelpeelers was the best prospect as of yet. Was hoping someone may know of one in Alabama, tenn., or Ga that I could pick up for less than shipping one. I'm not planning on using it until musc's are ripe, but I wanted to see it sitting there waiting on them regardless. Lol

Well my Local guy says he is going to be getting some I can ask him where he's getting them and let you know.

Well my Local guy says he is going to be getting some I can ask him where he's getting them and let you know.

That would be awsome. Just running some numbers here at work it would cost me about $50 to ship one from Ohio where label peelers is located, Kent I believe. Thats not completely unreasonable, make it about $100 which is about the same as a three 5-6 gallon carboys.

@Runningwolf
Yes, I was planning on setting this beauty in the corner and making that her home. Would always only clean with someones help just to be safe, but for the most part just let it be staionary. I just cant wait until those musc's are ready, my friends grandmother has around 75-100 acres of them I belive and they are the sweetest most juicy...yeah im hurting myself here. Cant wait for that batch.

Runningwolf
A real problem with the demijohn is that you CAN'T vacuum pump them (even our own vacuum man states this). The glass is just too thin to withstand the vacuum. What does work well, though, is a self priming diagphragm pump. I have a Buon Vino mini in our "experimental" lab and usually make test batches in either carboys or demijohns. Since I'm getting old, I don't want to lift carboys, and can't lift a demijohn, and this pump works extremely well for racking.

I have many carboys, two barrels and one demijohn. The "work around" that I use is that I have the demijohn on a castered platform so I can move it around my shop. I know that I cannot vacuum pump into the demijohn, but I can pump out of the demijohn. So I fill my demijohn with an auto siphon from a raised bench from either the barrels or carboys. I make 15-18 gallon batches of blends normally in the dj. I bulk age in the dj on the platform and then pump out of it to carboys for bottling. It is a little bit of work but it gives me a good way to blend larger batches and bulk age my wines.

We recently updated our kitchen and I took the faucet that we had in the kitchen and installed it in the sink in my wine area. It is one of those high "goose neck" types with a pull out sprayer so I can slide the dj over to the sink, pull out the sprayer and hose out the inside of the dj. I put maybe a gallon of water at a time to clean it with Oxyclean and I can swirl it around by its plastic handles. lift it and dump it into the sink. I do about 4 good rinses and it is good to go.

Back