walnut wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

french girl wine lover
Reaction score
Hi
Does anyone know where to order walnut wine, it makes me crazy :)
Thanks, cheers

Never heard of Walnut wine but it sounds interesting. Seems like walnuts or some other type of nut may be a tasty addition to like a bannana wine or even hard cider. Anyone in here have any ideas on this?
Troy

Come to think of it, toasting them before hand may just be a good flavor to impart.

Hi arcticsid,
Walnut wine I drunk was made by a friend of mine (ex-boyfriend) a few months ago, and since we are not together anymore I can't have walnut wine anymore :)
I saw this wine one time in a store, here in France, but it is very rare to find it.
It has a fruit/sugar/walnut taste, which is unforgettable.... (not like my exboyfriend lol)

\

now that has peaked my interest,i think i will make a hazelnut wine fro the holidays.....................thanks

I was searching for walnut wine and this is what I found.
I pass by a lot of local walnut tree's in town and it seems a waste to let them just rot on the ground year after year. The tree's must be over 100 years old and the walnuts are huge. With wine on my brain it was the first thing I thought of when I seen them today :)
Does anyone have a recipe they could share?

Do you know if it was green walnut wine or made from the meat of the mature nut?

Hi arcticsid,
Walnut wine I drunk was made by a friend of mine (ex-boyfriend) a few months ago, and since we are not together anymore I can't have walnut wine anymore :)
I saw this wine one time in a store, here in France, but it is very rare to find it.
It has a fruit/sugar/walnut taste, which is unforgettable.... (not like my exboyfriend lol)

Google Vin de Noix and you should find a few here are 2 to give you an idea

35 green walnuts

7 750-ml bottles dry red wine

1 quart vodka

4 1/2 cups granulated sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:

With a small mallet or hammer, strike walnuts hard enough to crack open green outer covering. Put them in a glass jar or crock large enough to hold them and wine. Pour wine over them, cover and store in a cool, dark place. Let stand for 40 days.Then, using a fine-mesh sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth, strain wine into a large, clean, dry crock or pot. Discard walnuts.

Pour vodka into a nonreactive pot or bowl. Add sugar and stir until it has dissolved, about 10 minutes. Pour this mixture into wine and stir well. Using a funnel and a ladle, fill bottles with now-fortified wine to within 1 1/2 to 2 inches from top. Push in a cork or otherwise seal.

Makes approximately eight 750-ml bottles Nocino

Recipe #2 INGREDIENTS:

25 green walnuts

1 quart vodka

2 cups granulated sugar

Zest of one lemon

4 cloves

1 stick cinnamon

Syrup

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS:

Cut walnuts into quarters and put them in a large, clean jar with vodka, sugar, lemon zest, cloves and cinnamon. Close jar and setunder sun for 60 days.

For syrup, combine 1 cup sugar with 1 cup water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Store covered in refrigerator. Add syrup to steeping nuts to ensure they are covered at all times. If necessary, make additional syrup, but not to exceed 1/2 cup. At end of 60 days, add any remaining syrup, then strain liquid through a fine mesh sieve lined with several layers of cheesecloth. Discard nuts, lemon, cloves and cinnamon. Bottle liqueur and seal.

Makes about 1 quart

Last edited:
Looks like a cool recipe. Vodka is good about extracting flavor and not imparting much, if it's good vodka. lol

Latest posts

Back