Walmart Concord grape jelly wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjo

Reaction score
I was wanting to make a Blackberry jelly wine found on another site, however that site has been down so I couldn't get the recipe and Concord grape was much cheaper.
I plan on using 3 lbs per gallon adding acid to .6 adding tannin and the usual yeast goodies, campden and k-meta. and Sugar to 1.09.
Any ideas on other additions? Is this considered a grape wine, if so will it take more alcohol or is it best starting at 1.09 and ferment to dry?
I did make a batch out of welches concord grape juice and turned out pretty good so I figured I would try this.

Thanks
Scott

Hi S)cott,

Here is the recipe, you can use whatever jelly or jam that you want. I have had huge success with Walmart seedless blackberry jam and peach jam.

This makes 1 gallon:

3 lb. jelly or jam any flavor
6 pts of water
1 lb sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1/8 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 pkg wine yeast (I normally use lavlin 1122)
starting sg 1.095 - 1.100
1. scoop jam or jelly into primary fermentor. stir in water (use cool not warm) and jelly or jam thoroughly.
2. stir in all other ingredients, then, add yeast. cover primary.
3. stir daily, check s.g.
4. when ferment reaches s.g 1.040 (3-5 days) syphon off wine sediment into glass secondary. attach airlock
5. when ferment reaches 1.000 (about 3 weeks) syphon off sediment into clean secondary. reattach lock.
6. to aid clearing syphon again in 2 months and again if necessary before bottling.
If you wish to slightly sweeten wine at bottling: add 1/2 tsp stabilizer, then stir in 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon.

Hope this helps
Julie

Yes remember they add pectin to Jelly to make it thinken up so pectic enzyme are real importent. The amount in above recipe I dont believe is enough. I would triple it if I was making it. Being said if Luc chimes in with differnt answer forget everything I said.

Scott, I go with Mike. LUC has a recipe he talks about oftem made from Jam, don't remeber if it is raspberry or strawberry, but Julies recipe seems right on line. As Mike said, LUC may chime in, so if you haven't mixed it yet, give it a day or so, or don't. Julies recipe seems worth going for.

Most of the wine I make is from frozen concentrate cause fruit is so damn expensive here, at the moment, I have a Apple/Passion/Mango working( Old Orchard brand, 100% Juice) concentrate. I like the idea of using Jams and jellies myself and am looking forward to what others may say on this.

Best of luck always. Keep us posted on your progress using this.

Troy

Scott,
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246&highlight=jelly
I FOUND IT! Here is the thread LUC contributed about this subject.
I used the search in here and typed in "jelly" found it pretty quick. Hope this helps you.

Don't be afraid to use the search in here. Often times you can find your answer quicker than someone can reply, and ifin you have any more questions you have a basis to start with.

Let us know how it goes.

Troy
:b

Rememeber I gave you a recipe for 1 gallon, the pectic enzyme is right. I have made this several times with each time being a huge success.

I checked out Luc's recipe and I would say we are pretty close, his is for roughly 12 gallons of wine.

Also, the Walmart jam/jelly is 18 oz instead of 16 oz. I used three jars per gallon, even though the recipe called for 3 pounds. I wasn't about to try to weigh out the jam.

Julie

Julie, this is quite an interesting topic. I will definitely put that in the back of my mind. Maybe we should get Wade to start a new catagory, "alternative wines". LOL:D

No joke! I am ready to start a canned pumpkin wine, we have recently heard about coffee and tea wine, canned peaches, jalapanoes, lemon juice in the green bottles, basil and other herbs. Ginger, (which I think is on my list to do), and a whole bunch of others.

No offence Julie, but you out to enter into the thread "you know you're a wine maker". You could say, "when you are talking wine at 6 in the morning"! ROTF.

Love it! This hobby grows on you. The only thing I can compare to the enjoyment of brewing your own, is..growing your own. I mean vegetables..I think! LOL again.:tz

Troy

The Concord grape jelly is in 2 lb jars. Bought 9 jars at just under $2 a piece. Going to shoot for 6 gallons. Any ideas on if I will need an F-pac later? I did make one for the welches concord grape I made. If an F-pac is needed any thoughts on making it from more grape jelly?
Any thoughts on best yeast to use? I have on hand Montrachet, Cote des Blanc, Premier Cuvee and lalvin K1-v116.
Thanks for all the help.
Scott.

I would use Cote des Blancs. It will give you a more "fruity" taste
I use this on all my friut wines.
OR the Montrachet

acid blend and TA test

According to my ta test on the jelly wine the reading is .2 to get this to .65 I would need 18 tsp of acid blend for a 6 gallon batch. Seems awful high, am I figuring something wrong. (1 tsp of acid will raise level 1.5 in 1 gal)

Second question- What is the purpose of the Phenolphthalein in the test kit? The 1st time I measured I forgot to add the 3 drops of phenolphthalein when I redid the test correctly there was no change in the results.
Thanks again
Scott

Julie, this is quite an interesting topic. I will definitely put that in the back of my mind. Maybe we should get Wade to start a new catagory, "alternative wines". LOL:D

No joke! I am ready to start a canned pumpkin wine, we have recently heard about coffee and tea wine, canned peaches, jalapanoes, lemon juice in the green bottles, basil and other herbs. Ginger, (which I think is on my list to do), and a whole bunch of others.

No offence Julie, but you out to enter into the thread "you know you're a wine maker". You could say, "when you are talking wine at 6 in the morning"! ROTF.

Troy

LOL, I get up at 5 am every morning, cruise the internet while I drink my coffee. So this is a good time for me to response. Here is the part that kills everyone. I get up at 5 am and I am at work at 7 am, and I only live 500 yards from my place of work. It takes me a total of 2 minutes to leave my house and drive to work. And yes I drive the big 500 yards because I never know when I will need to run somewhere else.

Alternative wines, oh yea. I have heard of wine being made from candy canes and the other day on facebook someone made a comment about making a strawberry wine and adding pepper. Don't turn your nose up, think about it......I'm thnking this might be worth a try.

Julie

Actually Julie there has been several discussions on here about making wine from candy canes!! Try the search, you'll probably fine some reference.

If I could make wine from cat hair, spruce tips, and/or mosquitoes, I would have it made!!!!

Going to make this this weekend. Had a couple of questions. My LHBS only had yeast energizer and also didn't have lalvin 71b-122 but had lalvin k1-V1116. How do you think this will change things?

Lukabrazi,
Not sure about the yeast strains, I tried 3 different ones and am still slogging along. This was my 6th batch of wine. If it were my first I probably would have quit by now. I originally used Cote de blanc then Montrachet and finally Lavlin1118 twice. The ferment was sluggish than quit and is now going very slowly. The last time I added 1118 I put in 2.5 tsp of energizer and 5 tsp of nutrient. It is now down to 1.015 and slowing way down. It has taken 5 weeks to get this far compared to 5 to 7 days for my other batches.
How does it tast you ask? Like concord grape jelly with a kick.:s Trying to figure out what to do with it at this point. I should have stuck to the concord grape concentrate. That turned out pretty good.
Scott

back sweeten

hello was wondering if you back sweeten the jelly or jam wines to get more flavor out of them . ? and how much if you do .. thanks for any info

hello was wondering if you back sweeten the jelly or jam wines to get more flavor out of them . ? and how much if you do .. thanks for any info

Hi Tonyyy,

Depends on how high the starting gravity was, where it ends and what flavor you are making. I like concord more on the sweet side and raspberry more on the dryer side. Hope this helps.

Julie, the recipe I was looking at said you should be careful not to use jelly's that have sorbic acid or benzoic acid or any chemicals you don't recognize. How important is this? your post said u can use any jelly or jam.

well, sorbate will keep the yeast from fermenting and other preservatives may severely inhibit them.

Lukabrazi,
Not sure about the yeast strains, I tried 3 different ones and am still slogging along. This was my 6th batch of wine. If it were my first I probably would have quit by now. I originally used Cote de blanc then Montrachet and finally Lavlin1118 twice. The ferment was sluggish than quit and is now going very slowly. The last time I added 1118 I put in 2.5 tsp of energizer and 5 tsp of nutrient. It is now down to 1.015 and slowing way down. It has taken 5 weeks to get this far compared to 5 to 7 days for my other batches.
How does it tast you ask? Like concord grape jelly with a kick.:s Trying to figure out what to do with it at this point. I should have stuck to the concord grape concentrate. That turned out pretty good.
Scott

This was supposed to be a quick and easy batch, fast drinker. I could not get the sg below 1.01. The jelly taste has started to go away. I wanted my carboy back. I bought 2 since I started this batch and don't think I can make another blend in. So I decided to add an F-pak and see what comes out. I added 4 cans of cranberry concentrate reduced to about 30 oz. It is pretty darn good. I'll wait till my better half tries it before I get to excited about it. She was encouraging me to dump it and start something different. She should be home from work around midnight.
Scott

The receipe that is posted for 1 gallon jelly wine does not call for Campden tablets, is that right. Thanks Loren

Latest posts

Back