Walker's Niagara or Concord

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
Did anyone buy Hotpack juice from Walkers this past season, and did it have the haze issue that the prior year had?
Don't get me wrong, I really like the Walker's hotpacks, just wondering if the issue existed this past harvest. Especially with the Niagara juice pack.

Last edited:
Yes, I got a niagara and a catawba in the fall and they both have a haze but to be honest, I'm not too worried about it at this point. I wasn't planning on bottling for several more months. If the haze continues, I'll clear it.

thanks Julie. I just ordered two pails.
Dan said he added peptic Enzyme before the yeast, to help clear the haze.
Do you just plan to use clearing agents?

Last edited:
I added pectic enzyme when I got it. And no I don't plan on using clearing agents just will if I have too.

Niagara can be a crazy wine to work with. One year it clears with no problem, and the next year it requires all kinds of acrobatics to get it to clear. Sometimes, even Super Kleer doesn't work really well. The best way to avoid all of this is to bentonite the primary. Since we've been doing this, we no longer have to fight to get this wine to clear.

Ditto what Turock said. Bentonite in the primary seems to work better at clearing than later clearings will. This year from fresh grapes it cleared easily, but in the past has been a bear with no bentonite.

I bought a hot pack peach and had no problem. I use pectic enzyme for a good 12 hours prior to fermenting. Wine looks very nice. Bought a rhubarb last year. Turned out awesome. Ask Rob

I didn't want anyone to think I was bashing Walkers, because I'm not at all.
I've made a couple of batches from their hotpack pails.....but I'm still a newbie, and I had issues getting the hotpack pail wines to clear. Runningwolf and Julie coached me through the extra steps to get it clear....something I didn't know was going to be a problem when I started. ...and skills I didn't have at the time.
So I appreciate everyones feedback, and I do like Walker's hotpack pails.

It sounds like Niagara has problems clearing in different harvest years, no matter the source of the juice.

Thanks again for all the help.

This has been a great lesson for me, and something to consider before I start any batch from juice vs. a kit in the future.

Doug I didn't get that idea. Walkers is great. I've been there numerous times and have had great success with all. Proper procedures do help with some difficult juices.

I didn't get that idea, either, Doug. I just seen you posting a problem with a juice bucket.

I remeber the wine that gave me the biggest problem clearing as being Niagara also, now quit bashing Walkers! LOL I never thought you were either and I have bought a lot off of them also. Rhubard is one that I do have to do again and i might even give strawberry another go. Julie and Reef, I love the new Avatars! Steve you need to change your signature line again. I really looked forward to those when you were changing them all the time.

Thanks Dan, lol, I had to use that avatar. Jesse was pretending she was jsut one of the pillows! Everytime I looked at her, she would look at me and hurry and shut her eyes.

Doug, a package will be coming your way this weekend. I am going to try and get it mailed off tomorrow. It will be coming UPS.

Latest posts

Back