Walker Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
Unfortunately I missed theLHBS juice bucket by this year. Bad planning on my part. I was researching last night and found Walker juice co. Does anyone know anything about them quality of reds etc?

I've used them for years, and was just there on Friday for our annual tasting and juice pickup trip. I've never used their hot packs, just fresh juice. I've only done hybrids and labruscas, but I've been happy with everything but their tannins. They hot press, rather than soak in must, and I think that diminishes the tanins a bit. Still, it makes for a very good wine. I've never done the vinifera juices, so can't answer that.

If you are really concerned about vinifera reds, an hour to the west, Presque Isle sells young wines (wines that have sat on skins for a short time) to home winemakers.

Agree with ebonheart. I buy large quantities of a wide varieties of juices from Walker's. Their juices are usually very good quality but hot-pressings the reds makes for a very fruity wine with minimal tannin and body. I use Walker's red juices for fruity red blends and grow/buy grapes for quality, dry barrel-aged wines.

If you are used to working with juice buckets from your LHBS, then you will not notice a difference. If you are used to working directly with grapes and fermenting on skins, then you will be disappointed with reds from Walkers.

I dont live anywhere near and cant pickup. So I would have to go with hotpacks. Sounds like that is not a good option, unless buy skins and add some Tannins up front durring fermentation.

I got one of their Noriet hot pressed juice jugs last year because it was Noriet, a hybrid I wanted to try. Since it was chilean season I added 3 lugs of Cabernet grapes (56lbs) and the stuff is fantastic. Compared to a commercial buckey + grapes its not even close. I plan on making more of this stuff I really like it.

Back